The Movement Issue

Nov 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Get a move on

Ten thousand steps shouldn’t be too much, we thought. Inside gave three people pedometers to check how far they walked in a day. Only one surpassed the recommended number of steps. Oh, and he’s a cross-country runner.

Step Into Fitness encourages IU faculty and staff to move out of their offices and around campus. “People perceive that they don’t have the time to go for a walk,” says Megan Amadeo, who runs the program.

Nov 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Athlete^3

The lives of IU athletes look a lot like ours: They eat in dining halls, obsess over Xbox, and procrastinate doing homework. Three friends show us how their world isn’t as glamorous as we might think.

Nov 30, 2009 8:01 pm

On the road

Fill up your tank, find some friends, and grab a pad of Mad Libs, because it’s time for an excursion. We’ve hunted down adventures within 30 miles, and we talked to one student who will be driving across the country over winter break. Also, take some advice from one group of cyclists who pedaled from the mountains to the Midwest.

Nov 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Steps in her way

One student’s struggle to access the second floor of Goodbody Hall.

Nov 30, 2009 7:08 pm

Demanding grace

In the Ballet Department, preparing for your career can make you stronger or break you down. A dancer takes us inside her uncontrollable world.

Nov 30, 2009 7:34 pm

A word from the police

IU Police Department Capt. Jerry Minger clears up transportation myths and gives his take on how to move around campus.

Nov 30, 2009 7:22 pm

Crash to crush

It was a warm day in September when junior Carley Hall raced to class in front of Ballantine Hall. Her friend Amber called her name from across the street. Hall decided to take a minute to chat.

“When I’m a pedestrian, I hate people in cars. When I’m in a car, I hate pedestrians. But no matter whether I’m driving or walking, I hate people on bikes. They drive me nuts. They just come out of nowhere.”  Karin Thomas, senior