The Diy Issue

Apr 12, 2010 8:46 pm

The healing game

When Tijan left Gambia six years ago to shoot hoops in the United States, he knew he wouldn’t have the chance to help his mother through an illness that had been ailing her for more than five years. In January, his brothers left him a voicemail with difficult news: his mother had passed away. He hadn’t seen her since he left home in 2004. A few weeks later, we asked him how he coped with the loss.

Apr 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Facing their wall

My grandfather never went to the Wall. A Vietnam War veteran, he never pressed his hand to the black granite monument and felt the grooved indents of 58,261 names. He couldn’t bring himself to do it, so I did it for him. I drove 650 miles to confront the loss — his and mine.

Apr 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Get lost

Bloomington straddles the fencepost between woodsy wilderness and hip college campus – think impractical, tight-fitting flannel. If you ever lock your keys in the car while parked at Bradford Woods, you’ll want to know which berries to eat.

Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Trash with class

Can the words “etiquette” and “Little 500 party” even fit in the same sentence? We say yes.

Sep 14, 2010 8:52 am

Lost: sleep, religion, virginity

Ten intangible things you (might have) lost when you came to college and how to get (most of) them back.

Apr 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Why do we do what we do

Gym rats, workaholics, couch potatoes, and over-achievers — label them how you will, we all know a few.

Apr 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Brew your own beer

You don’t need to be an expert to make liquid courage from home.

Apr 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Sell it yourself

We asked Brooke McCluskey, marketing manager of Hoosier Times (the group that publishes the Bloomington Herald-Times) for tips on writing a classified.

Apr 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Wanted

Newspaper classified ad sales might be floundering, but that hasn’t stopped people from buying and selling their junk. The adage “one person’s trash is another person’s treasure” couldn’t be truer in the world of cyber classified ads. Every lost ring, found wallet, and free couch has a hidden history. We scoured the OneStart classified ads to find creative sales pitches and the people behind them. Our stuff tells a story.

Sep 27, 2010 8:05 pm

What’s in a gesture?

The middle finger, the bird, the one-finger salute. You know what we’re talking about.

Apr 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Honest work

Your liberal arts education is not a survival promise. Three students share how dirty hands fill the gaps in their learning

Apr 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Do it for others

Two students saw a problem at local Fairview Elementary School. As the elementary school with the lowest socioeconomic status in Bloomington, some kids don’t have books to read. Through the Hutton Honors College, juniors Hannah Wert and Adeel Chaudhry are doing something about that. 

Apr 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Run a grassroots movement

If you caught the “political bug” after the 2008 election and want to change your community, strap in. According to senior AnnElyse Gibbons, former president of IU’s Students for Hillary campaign, these tips will prepare any aspiring volunteer for what she calls the “election roller coaster.”