PHOTOS

29th Annual Lotus Festival showcases 23 artists

Sarod players Amman & Ayaan Ali Bangash perform at the Lotus Festival.
Finnish Folk bank Kardemimmit performs on stage at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.
Audience members seen dancing during the 29th Annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival.
Irish Traditional band member Joanna Hyde plays the fiddle.
Flying Balkan Laikas, a Slavic folk and rock group, perform Sept. 24, 2022.
A member of Flying Balkan Laikas plays the guiatar Sept. 24, 2022.
A member of LADAMA sings Sept. 24, 2022 at the Fourth Street Tent.
Lemon Bucket Orkestra performs at the Sixth Street Tenth.
Salaam band founder Dena El Saffar plays the oud, a traditional Iraqi instrument.
Members of Volo Bogtrotters perform at First Christian Church.
A member of the Nyansapo Highlife Band smiles at the crowd while playing the drums.
A member of the Nyansapo Highlife Band plays the trumpet.

Amman & Ayaan Ali Bangash perform as part of the 29th annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival on Sept. 24, 2022. They both play the sarod — a staple in Indian music.

Olivia Bianco | IDS

Finnish folk band Kardemimmit performs Sept. 23, 2022, at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The group of four has been a favorite at the Lotus World Music and Arts Festival for almost a decade.

Alayna Wilkening | IDS

Audience members TJ Bloomfield and Adriana Caro-Gomez dance to the rhythm of traditional Middle Eastern music Sept. 23, 2022, during the Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. Members of Salaam, an Arabic band, have performed across the nation spreading a message of peace.

Alayna Wilkening | IDS

Joanna Hyde plays the fiddle Sept. 23, 2022, on the Lotus Local Stage. Hyde is in an Irish traditional band with bandmate Tadhg O Meachair.

Alayna Wilkening | IDS

Members of Flying Balkan Laikas perform Sept. 24, 2022, at the 29th annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. The group is a Slavic folk and rock group.

Olivia Bianco | IDS

A member of Flying Balkan Laikas plays the guitar Sept. 24, 2022, at the 29th annunal Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. The festival began Thursday evening and ran through Sunday.

Olivia Bianco | IDS

A member of LADAMA sings Sept. 24, 2022, at the Fourth Street Tent at the 29th annunal Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. LADAMA is a group consisting of four women who describe themselves as "sisters in song, rhythm and spirit."

Olivia Bianco | IDS

Lemon Bucket Orkestra plays Sept. 24, 2022, at the Sixth Street Tent at the 29th annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. The group is a Balkan folk-punk brass band from Toronto.

Olivia Bianco | IDS

Salaam band founder Dena El Saffar plays the oud, a traditional Iraqi instrument, Sept. 23, 2022, during the 29th annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. El Saffar founded the band while studying at the Jacobs School of Music.

Alayna Wilkening | IDS

Members of the Volo Bogtrotters perform Sept. 23, 2022, at First Christian Church during the 29th annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. The ensemble played old-time fiddle music from the American midwest.

Alayna Wilkening | IDS

A member of the Nyansapo Highlife Band smiles at the crowd during an energetic set Sept. 23, 2022, at the 29th annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. The Chicago-based African band brought high energy and a variety of instruments to its performance.

Alayna Wilkening| IDS

A member of the Nyansapo Highlife Band plays the trumpet Sept. 23, 2022, in the Sixth Street Tent during the Lotus World Music and Arts Festival. The group has over 30 years of experience and has been nominated for the Best African Highlife Band several times in the Chicago Music Awards.

Alayna Wilkening | IDS