sports track & field

Fourteen Indiana men’s track and field athletes earn bids to NCAA East Preliminary Round

spiumtfbrief051922.jpg

On Thursday, the NCAA released its list of bids for next week’s East Preliminary Round. Fourteen Hoosiers received bids for individual events and one relay team earned a spot in the competition. 

In field events, three pole vaulters secured their place in the preliminaries. Seventh-seeded junior Nathan Stone, freshman Tyler Carrel and graduate student Adam Coulon are slated to compete. 

Freshman Sean Mockler, who placed third in the hammer throw in last week’s Big Ten Championships, is one of three freshmen to earn a bid into the prelims. His personal best mark of 68.68 meters earned him the 12th seed on the NCAA’s list for the event. 

Sophomore Adam Strouf, who is seeded 36th in the shot put, also earned a spot in the throwing preliminaries. Junior Grayson Rolen and graduate student Jyles Ettiene round out the field selections with bids for the high jump competition. 

On the track, redshirt senior Rikkoi Brathwaite will compete in the East Preliminaries as the 13th seed after setting a new personal best of 10.11 seconds in the 100-meter dash last week. Junior Antonio Laidler will also compete in the 100-meter dash, slotting in as the 40th seed. 

Graduate student Kenny Benton and senior Shaton Vaughn will compete in the 400-meter dash and 400-meter hurdles, respectively. Freshman Camden Marshall closes out the middle-distance selections and is seeded 29th in the 800-meter dash. 

Two Hoosiers earned bids for long-distance events: graduate student Ben Veatch in the 5000-meter race and senior Jake Gebhardt in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Gebhardt received the 48th and final bid after recording a time of 8:56.43. 

The only relay team to earn a spot in the preliminaries was the 4 x 400-meter team. The Hoosier quartet of Vaughn, Laidler, Benton and junior Micah Camble received the 23rd bid. 

The preliminary round will take place next week, May 25-28, at the Billy Hayes Track in Bloomington, Indiana. The top 12 placements in both individual events and relays will qualify for the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon from June 8-11.