opinion   |   letters

LETTER: Kara Krothe is the judge Bloomington needs in this moment

fall2020letter

Presidents and protests get all the headlines, but Bloomington judges elected in Bloomington elections are responsible for our criminal justice. It matters. 

While national politics play across all our minds, understanding the impacts of local elections is of grave importance. We’ve seen this year a great reckoning of injustice in court systems and city police forces across the country, including in our own city. One election will not wipe these injustices away or immediately fix this system, but Kara Krothe is a force for change running for judge right here in Bloomington. 

Krothe is a career public defender. More than most, she understands our criminal justice system doesn’t treat all citizens equally. As a Bloomington resident, I’m sure you’d agree. In her more than 15-year career in indigent defense, she has had an eye toward people’s better sides — the presumption of innocence, and the context that so often leads to criminal circumstances. 

Crime doesn’t just happen. It’s often the result of an underlying mental health or substance abuse disorder. That’s why she’s a member of these problem solving courts: Drug Treatment Court, Veterans Court and Reentry Court. Kara’s focus is here because these courts are designed to reduce incarceration by identifying and assisting good people in bad circumstances.

And her opponent? A prosecutor who wasn't even elected to her seat. 

Krothe is the candidate for the moment and the judge Bloomington needs.

Nicholas Baird

More in Opinion