It Takes Two

How pop-folk duo Lily & Madeleine took their music career from Bloomington to abroad.

Four years ago, Bloomington-based music producer Paul Mahern came across a video on YouTube of Lily and Madeleine Jurkiewicz singing a First Aid Kit song together. The sisters were 15 and 17 at the time, respectively, and growing up in Indianapolis.

“I watched (the video) about four or five times in a row before I realized that’s what I was doing,” says Mahern. “It was pretty hypnotizing.”

Three albums and multiple tours later, the folk-pop duo known as Lily and Madeleine are winning hearts and capturing international attention with their sweet harmonies and story-like songwriting. However, making the transition from high school to national headlines hasn’t been easy.

Lily & Madeleine records sit on a shelf at Landlocked music. The sister duo recorded their albums with producer Paul Mahern of Mahern Audio in Bloomington.

“It was kind of difficult at first,” Lily said, reflecting on her humble Midwest beginnings from a tour stop in Boston. The sisters are on the road, promoting the release of their latest album, “Keep It Together.”

“(We were) trying to transition (music) from a fun, around the house hobby to something professional,” she said. “It had always been a normal part of our lives. We took piano lessons when we were younger, and our mom used to sing around the house all the time. It was just how we grew up. And then we started writing and performing three or four years ago.”

Madeleine, who was born in Bloomington and attended Indiana University in 2013 before leaving to focus on music, chimed in. She attested to the pressure that came with breaking into the industry.

“Getting started, it was very confusing, because Lily and I were just making music as a hobby,” she said. “And then, you know, we met Paul through a family friend and he was like, ‘Why don’t you guys try writing your own music and we could record that,’ and Lily and I thought it would be a fun challenge. But we were also scared because we’d never done it before.”

At the time, both sisters were unsure about how realistic a career in music would be.

“I was like, yeah this guy wants us to write songs, but everybody’s trying to be a star these days and everybody’s trying to get discovered so I wasn’t sure if it was going to go anywhere,” Lily said. “It was really Paul who suggested that we try it professionally and try writing our own stuff.”

Luckily, the sisters didn’t let their nerves keep them from taking a chance. At dinner with Lily and Madeleine’s parents, Mahern expressed how confident he was in the girls’ talent and their shot at having a career as musicians.

“I brought them into my studio, cut demos, and formed a relationship that’s been going on ever since,” Mahern said.

“We really owe the beginning of our career to him,” Lily said.

Lily (left) and Madeleine (right) Jurkiewicz perform at Landlocked Music. The sisters who are from Indianapolis write their own songs and released their third album, "Keep It Together," on Feb. 26.

In February, Lily and Madeleine released their third studio album, “Keep It Together.”However, the process of creating the album was been different than anything they had done before — all the way down to the songwriting. In the past the sisters would write together from the beginning, but this time, they began the process individually.

“With this album we wrote (the songs) entirely separately and then came together to edit them and make them cohesive as an album,” Madeleine said. “I think that made the album a lot more interesting 
and dynamic.”

Like many young writers, Lily and Madeleine’s songwriting reflects their experiences — from finding love, facing heartbreak and everything in between. Their lyrics are full of references to life in the Midwest, including tracks like “Chicago” and “Westfield.” The latter is a reference to Westfield Boulevard in downtown Indianapolis, the sisters said.

“You can tell the different (writing) styles between me and Lily, but the record is still very cohesive,” Madeleine said.

Lily and Madeleine are on tour through May to promote their new album via a slew of shows across the United States. Despite playing for big crowds coast to coast, the experience hasn’t been as glamorous as one might expect.

“Touring is really fun, but recently, it was stressful because we had to drive 16 hours and fit everything in the van and it was just a really crazy process, because we’re still trying to save as much money as possible,” Madeleine said.

In the end, they both agree the opportunity to travel is worth the occasional stress.

“We love playing in New York City and Los Angeles because they’re so big and such music capitals,” Madeleine said. “But playing smaller shows in clu in the Midwest is really nice, because people are so genuine and they’ll come up to us after shows and tell us how much they enjoy the music. So, touring and getting to meet people are wonderful pros about this industry and this job that we have.”

As the duo’s fame continues to grow, so do their dreams.

“We’re hoping to make it across the pond (again) in early May,” Madeleine said, reflecting on the duo’s first European tour a year and a half ago. “We just want to get the record out as much as possible and see where we can take it.”

Despite the international hype surrounding Lily and Madeleine, and the plans for another European tour, the sisters remain loyal to their Midwestern — and specifically Bloomington — roots.

“We’ve always recorded in Bloomington,” Lily said. “All of our musician friends, band and Paul live there, so I think I want to keep recording there because it just makes sense.”

First their producer and now doubling as their manager, Mahern has witnessed the sisters’ rise to success firsthand.

“Watching them develop from the place where they didn’t really know anything about the business, to where they are now where they’ve been doing this for three years... It’s been really great to witness that,” he said.

For two high school students who once considered music a hobby, the story of Lily and Madeleine remains unwritten.

“We’re open to anything and everything,” Lily said when asked about the duo’s plans for the future.

With their maturity and success comes a newfound sense of independence for the young women as well.

“On this new record, they were in charge in a way that they’ve never been before,” Mahern said. “I’m extremely proud not only of what they’ve accomplished but what they’re going to accomplish in the future.”