Monroe approves solar farm

In response to a lawsuit filed by the Sierra Club and Citizens Action Coalation, Duke Energy is planning to build a new solar farm in Bloomington by the end of 2015.

In settling the lawsuit filed by the two non-profit organizations, Duke committed to looking for new ways to utilize green energy sources.

Duke Energy approached the Monroe County Plan Commission with a proposal to construct a solar farm on South Rogers Street. The Monroe County Board of Commissioners approved the project on March 21.

The Monroe County government owns 80 acres of property on the south side of Bloomington. County Grant Administrator Ashley Cranor said the land sat undeveloped for 12 years.

“It was purchased to be a juvenile detention center,” Cranor said. “We’ve moved away from that politically. We don’t institutionalize our children. We just don’t.”

Kramer said the county commissioners have made 25 acres of land available to Duke Energy. The company has issued a request for solar farm proposals from various businesses.

The company they select will begin construction in 2015 and must complete the work by the end of the year.

Angeline Protogere, the media contact for Duke Energy, said the company chose to do this as a commitment to renewable energy.

“We believe in the diversity of power sources,” Protogere said. “It’s important to have a variety of different sources to gather from.”

Solar Zentrum, a renewable energy company, has been frequently mentioned as being allowed to lease the land.

Cranor said the county did not have an agreement with them and that Duke would be the only one to decide which business would build on the land. The company will stop taking proposals today.

Any business selected will have to go through regular procedures to obtain the land. James Roach, the senior zoning planner for the City of Bloomington, said the land is not zoned for a solar farm and must be rezoned.

“It wasn’t something we ever anticipated,” Roach said.

The county is also implementing solar energy sources on the Justice Building downtown. Cranor said she was excited for the county to be in the spotlight for solar energy promotion.

“We’re a solar-friendly community,” Cranor said.

Although the solar farm will be built in Bloomington, there is no guarantee the company Duke selects will use local employees. Cranor said she hopes they will, but the development of the land will create needed revenue for the county regardless.

“If Monroe County can benefit from it, then we’re the better for it,” Cranor said. “I’ve never heard of a solar farm in an urban area, and we’re excited to be the first.”