'Beauty' returns to IU stage

Cast members sing during Act I of Disney's "Beauty and The Beast" performance at the IU Auditorium on Thursday night.

Thursday night, the IU Auditorium was flooded with little girls dressed in yellow princess dresses and crowns, all in deep preparation for their favorite Disney film brought to life.

The famous Broadway musical “Beauty and the Beast” premiered at the auditorium at 7:30 p.m.

“This show is based off of the standard Broadway production, but this is the first year that the IU Auditorium will be showing its updated state,” said Karyn McNay, auditorium marketing manager.

“The play itself was just updated a few years ago with its set, costumes and musical numbers, so this is the first year that we are staging its new conception.”

Almost every seat was reserved before the show started. Friday’s show will also begin at 7:30 p.m. and is nearly sold out.

Tickets are available for purchase on the IU Auditorium’s website.

This is the second time the IU Auditorium played “Beauty and the Beast,” with the team previously staging it in March 2010.

“Beauty and the Beast” was directed by Rob Roth, and starred Hilary Maiberger and Darick Pead as the lead roles of Belle and the Beast.

“We are happy to bring this classic tale back to the IU Auditorium stage, and are excited to see the how this beautiful story has been reimagined for its newest tour,” Booher said. “This production promises dazzling numbers, lavish sets and costumes, and unforgettable characters that will delight audiences of all ages.”

The stage was decorated in an exotic French Gothic style with detailed curtains and lights picturesque of Disney style, and was also inspired by the original Broadway
musical.

Sponsored by B97 radio, the Herald-Times and the Curry Auto Center, the sponsors attended to present “Kids Night on Broadway” in conjunction with the
presentation.

Themed activities including a “Chip’s Tea Cup Toss” game and “Belle’s Book Drive,” were organized in the lobby before the show.

Participants could donate used books to the Indiana South Central Community Action Head Start program through the book drive.

Bloomington resident Jacob Ryder conveyed his enthusiasm about “Beauty and the Beast” coming back to the auditorium.

“This is one of my all-time favorite Disney films. Words cannot express how excited I am,” Ryder said. “Indiana University always seems to deliver with all of their musicals and other play productions, so I have no doubt in my mind that this show will do incredibly well this weekend as well.”

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.