Yoder takes County Council seat

ciYoder Carousel

Vic Kelson’s resignation from the Monroe County Council earlier this month left District 1 seat on the council open.

The Monroe County Democratic Party then convened for caucus at the Monroe County Courthouse Saturday and elected Shelli Yoder.

The Monroe County Council appropriates funds and adopts the county budget for use.
Monroe County Democratic Party Chairman Rick Dietz said Kelson resigned in light of increased responsibilities to his employer, Wittman Hydro, making it difficult to maintain his responsibilities as a councilor.

Kelson was also arrested last March for driving under the influence.

Yoder ran against Todd Young for Congressional District 9 representative in 2012 and lost. Yoder received nearly 45 percent of the vote, while Young received 55 percent, according to the Indiana Secretary of State.

Dietz said in a press release that the purpose of the Cacus was to fill that Democratic County Council District 1 seat through Dec. 31, 2014.

Dietz chaired the caucus with the assistance of Hans Huffman, Efrat Feferman, Lee Jones and Lorraine Farrell.

“In my estimation, we had a great selection of candidates,” Dietz said.

Dietz said candidates had to make an opening statement, undergo a question and answer session and issue a closing statement before the electors cast their votes.

There were a total of four candidates who had filed for the position. She will join the ranks of Geoff McKim, Dietz, Lee Jones and Cheryl Munson as Democratic
councilors.

Yoder was sworn in to her new position at the caucus Saturday.  

“We were pretty lucky to have all the candidates that stepped forward being strong choices for the caucus,” Dietz said. “Ultimately, the majority of electors thought Shelli would be the better candidate,” Dietz said.

—Anu Kumar