Indiana Daily Student Logo
Please select an office

ELECTION GUIDE

President/Vice President

Barack Obama, Democrat

Percentage:49.4%

Barack Obama is seeking reelection to the Presidency of the United States of America.

Mitt Romney, Republican

Percentage:49.1%

Romney, 65, was governor of Massachusetts from 2003 to 2007, presiding over a legislature dominated by Democratic representatives.

Gary Johnson, Libertarian

Percentage:1.5%

Johnson, 59, was the Republican Governor of New Mexico from 1995-03. He proudly touts his veto record, which is higher than all other governors combined.

United States Senator

Joe Donnelly, Democrat

Percentage:49.9%

Donnelly was born on Sept. 29, 1955. He graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1977 and earned a law degree from the Notre Dame Law School in 1981.

Richard Mourdock, Republican

Percentage:44.3%

Mourdock ousted long-time Republican Senator Richard Lugar in Indiana’s May Republican primary, taking 61% of the vote.

Andrew Horning, Libertarian

Percentage:5.8%

Horning has been a researcher, clinical, industry/product development professional and educator in the cardiovascular health care field since 1979.

Governor/Lieutenant Governor

John Gregg, Democrat

Percentage:46.5%

John Gregg, born Sept. 6, 1954, is the Democratic Candidate for governor. He’s currently works for Bingham Greenebaum Dole law firm.

Mike Pence, Republican

Percentage:49.6%

Pence is a native of Columbus, Indiana. He graduated from Hanover College in 1981 with a degree in American History and earned a degree in law from Indiana University School of Law in 1986.

Rupert Boneham, Libertarian

Percentage:4%

Boneham is a community organizer and founder of the mentoring program Rupert’s Kids, which provides mentoring and educational programming to at-risk Indianapolis youth.

Attorney General

Kay Fleming, Democrat

Percentage:41.9%

Fleming is currently the president and partner at Fleming Stage, her own legal firm. She graduated Cum Laude with a BS from Indiana State University-Evansville.

Greg Zoeller, Republican

Percentage:58.1%

Zoeller graduated in 1982 from IU Maurer School of Law. From 1989-91, he served as an assistant to Vice President Dan Quayle in the White House.

Superintendent of Public Instruction

Glenda Ritz, Democrat

Percentage:53%

Democratic candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction. Currently the library media specialist at Crooked Creek Elementary School in the Metropolitan School District of Washington Township in Indianapolis.

Tony Bennett, Republican

Percentage:47%

Bennett is a former high school teacher, coach and principal. He is Indiana’s current Superintendent for Public Instruction.

State Senator, District 40

Mark Stoops, Democrat

Percentage:58%

Stoops is a current Monroe County Commissioner and has also served eight years on the Monroe County Council.

Reid Dallas, Republican

Percentage:42%

Dallas is a Diabetes Care Specialist with Novo Nordisk, Inc. He received his B.S. in Public Affairs from Indiana University.

Unites States Representative, District 9

Shelli Yoder, Democrat

Percentage:43%

Yoder worked in nonprofit executive management and with businesses for 20 years, focusing primarily on helping those in need gain access to physical and mental-health services and educational opportunities.

Todd Young, Republican

Percentage:43%

A graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Young also received a master’s degree in business from the University of Chicago and University of London and a law degree from IUPUI.

Indiana Representative, District 46

James (Jim) Mann, Democrat

Percentage:42%

Mann graduated from Indiana State University in 1987 and later earned a masters in social science education in 1995.

Bob Heaton, Republican

Percentage:58%

Rep Heaton attended the University of Denver on a full athletic scholarship for basketball and studied business.

Indiana Representative, District 60

Peggy Welch, Democrat

Percentage:41%

Welch graduated from Mississippi College in 1977 with a BS in education. She completed prerequisites for nursing school at IU and later earned an associates degree in nursing (RN) from Ivy Tech Community College in 1995.

Peggy Mayfield, Republican

Percentage:59%

Mayfield is in her second term as Morgan County Clerk, and serves on the Executive Board of the Association of Circuit Court Clerks of Indiana as their legislative chairman.

Indiana Representative, District 61

Matt Pierce, Democrat

Pierce was born in Newton County, Ind. and has lived in Bloomington since 1980. Pierce graduated from IU in 1984 with a BA in telecommunications and political science. In 1987, he graduated from the IU School of Law.

Indiana Representative, District 62

Jeff Sparks, Democrat

Percentage:45%

Sparks is currently the principal at Linton Stockton Junior High School.

Matt Ubelhor, Republican

Percentage:55%

Ubelhor has worked in the mining industry for 35 years, including 22 years in his current position at Peabody Energy.

Judge, Circuit Court Monroe, Seat 2 (10th Cir.)

Marc Kellams, Republican

Kellams received his bachelor of arts in religious studies from IU and his Doctor of Jurisprudence from the IU Maurer School of Law.

Judge, Circuit Court Monroe, Seat 3 (10th Cir.)

Alphonso (Al) Manns, Democrat

Percentage:43.39%

Manns graduated from Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn., in 1964 and later from the IU School of Law in 1972.

Francie Hill, Republican

Percentage:56.61%

Francie Hill graduated from Purdue University in 1974 with degrees in education and sociology. She graduated from the IU School of Law cum laude in 1979.

Judge, Circuit Court Monroe, Seat 8 (10th Cir.)

Teresa Harper, Democrat

Harper did her undergraduate degree at IU-PUI and later studied at the IU School of Law at Indianapolis and was admitted to the Indiana State Bar in 1982.

County Auditor

Steve Saulter, Democrat

Percentage:50.28%

Saulter graduated from the Kelley School of Business with an accounting degree in 1975. He spent 23 years as an Indiana State Board of Accounts field examiner.

Vivien Bridges, Republican

Percentage:49.72%

Bridges studied accounting and bookkeeping at IU and is completing State Board of Accounts auditor training. She worked as Monroe County’s lead tax distributor and payroll and personnel administrator.

County Treasurer

Cathy Smith, Democrat

Percentage:55.88%

Smith has been the county treasurer since 2009. She received a master’s degree in engineering from North Carolina State University.

Bernice Thrasher Luck, Republican

Percentage:44.12%

Luck, a lifetime resident of Monroe County, has masters and bachelor degrees from IU. She has worked in Monroe County government for more than 20 years in positions such as chief deputy auditor and chief deputy treasurer.

County Coroner

Nicole Meyer, Democrat

Percentage:57.79%

County coroner since 2009. Paramedic and educator at IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

Walter Hatfield, Republican

Percentage:42.21%

Hatfield, 72, is seeking his first term in office. He has 47 years of experience as a mortician and formerly served as Chief Deputy Corner in Howard County and district director of the Indiana Funeral Directors Association.

County Surveyor

Kevin Enright, Democrat

Enright is the incumbent county surveyor and has served three nonconsecutive terms since 1996.

County Commissioner, District 2

Julie Thomas, Democrat

Percentage:56.37%

Thomas serves on several boards of directors, including the Monroe County Board of Zoning Appeals and Planned Parenthood of Indiana.

Nelson Shaffer, Republican

Percentage:43.63%

Nelson Shaffer received his Ph.D. in applied geology from IU in 1996 and undergraduate and graduate degrees from Ohio University.

County Commissioner, District 3

Iris Kiesling, Democrat

Percentage:51.29%

Kiesling has an associate’s degree from the Katharine Gibbs School in Montclaire, N.J., and Boston.

John Newlin, Republican

Percentage:37.71%

Newlin, 61, has bachelor’s degrees from Miami University of Ohio and Indiana University.

Dave Nakarado, Libertarian

Percentage:10.99%

Nakarado received a bachelor of science from Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Mich., where he studied education and psychology.

County Council at Large

Elizabeth “Lee” Jones, Democrat

Percentage:18.58%

Jones and her husband founded Stranger’s Hill, an organic produce and greenhouse business, in 1983.

Skip Daley, Republican

Percentage:16.57%

Daley, 39, is a seven-year resident of Monroe County. He received a degree in communications from Central Connecticut State University.

Geoff McKim, Democrat

Percentage:17.30%

McKim has served as a county council member at-large since 2008 and has worked as a program manager at Technology Service Corporation in Bloomington since 1997.

Brian Ellison, Republican

Percentage:14.70%

Ellison, 43, is an 11-year resident of Monroe County. He has experience with large budget management through his position as a global projects manager for Hewlett-Packard, where he’s worked for 20 years.

Cheryl Munson, Democrat

Percentage:18.17%

Munson is an expert of Native American cultures in the Midwest. She graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Arizona in 1965 and a master’s degree from the University of Illinois in 1971.

Jennifer Mickel, Republican

Percentage:14.68%

Mickel spent much of her childhood in Blooomington, attending Rogers Elementary School, University Middle School and Bloomington North High School.

School Board - District 2

Randy Barrett

Percentage:29.36%

Barrett is a former teacher, coach, public school administrator and superintendent. He served six years on the Indiana High School Athletic Association Board as Educational Consultant.

John Crane

Percentage:22.02%

Crane is a managing partner in structural engineering firm BFW Crane, Inc. He is a registered professional structural engineer.

Sue Wanzer

Percentage:48.62%

Wanzer is a former University Student Affairs administrator, former economic and community affairs consultant, former county chair for the Help America Vote Act and the monroe County Vote Center Advisory Committee and member of the MCCSC School Board.

School Board - District 4

David Sabbagh

Percentage:61.02%

Sabbagh is a former professor of mathematics and computer science and has taught at Bowling Green State University, Purdue University, Indiana University and Ivy Tech Bloomington.

Donovan Walling

Percentage:38.98%

Currently an independent writer and editorial consultant, a senior consultant at the Center for Civic Education in Calabasas, California and a seasonal assessment administrator of the National Assessment of Educational Progress.

School Board - District 5

Keith Klein

Percentage:70.72%

Klein graduated from IU in 1966 with a BS in radio-tv. He earned a masters degree in mass communication from IU in 1967. He currently is the vice-president of the Monroe County Community School Corporation.

David Wierhake

Percentage:29.28%

Currently a substitute teacher, actor, musician and songwriter. Wierhake graduated from IU with a BA in journalism.

School Board - District 6

Lois Sabo-Skelton

Sabo-Skelton is a violinist, writer and activist. She has served on the Bloomington City's Commission for Historic Preservation and Family and Human Resources.