On Feb. 22, 1867, about a half dozen students gathered to form a student newspaper at IU. Out of that meeting came the Indiana Student and what is now the Indiana Daily Student.
When it began, the Student published only twice a month. However, in 1874, the newspaper stopped publishing because of financial problems. It was reinstated eight years later by William Julian Bryan, who later became William Lowe Bryan and IU’s 10th president.
In 1911, the School of Journalism was formed. That same year the school required every journalism student to work on the paper. Students received course credit and a grade for their work.
A turning point for the IDS came in 1969. The newspaper adopted its charter on July 1, making it financially and editorially independent from IU. Students fought for the paper’s independence for over a year before the IU board of trustees accepted the charter. Because of the paper’s new-found independence, journalism students were no longer required to work at the paper.
For a while, the IDS was a paid-circulation newspaper and was a quarter each until the fall of 1995. At that time it was one of only two college newspapers in the country that still charged a fee. That fall, the IDS went to free, mass circulation. Since then the newspaper has been completely dependent on advertising revenue, receiving no money from the University or student fees.
Feb. 22, 1867 — First issue of the Indiana Student (owned by the students) published; only came out twice a month.
1874 — Due to financial problems, the Student stops publishing.
1882 — The Student is revived by William Julian Bryan, who later became William Lowe Bryan and IU’s 10th president.
1897 — Florence Reid Myrick becomes the first woman to serve as editor-in-chief.
1899 — The Indiana Student becomes the Daily Student.
1906 — Editor-in-chief position no longer 15 credits but becomes a paid job.
1910 — The Daily Student comes under ownership of the University and becomes a journalism lab.
1914 — Daily Student becomes the Indiana Daily Student.
Sept. 1922 — Ernie Pyle becomes editor-in-chief.
Dec. 7, 1941 — Extra on bombing of Pearl Harbor, one of only two known college newspapers to publish that afternoon.
April 18, 1944 — Ernie Pyle shot and killed during World War II.
1954 — IDS moves to Ernie Pyle Hall.
July 1, 1969 — IU board of trustees approves new charter making IDS an auxiliary enterprise of the University, but financially and editorially independent from IU.
1973 — The IDS, for which students originally paid, becomes free on campus.
January 1979 — Pat Siddons, a former Bloomington Bureau chief for the Louisville Courier Journal, becomes publisher of the IDS.
1981 — IU board of trustees approves the first charter for the Arbutus.
Spring 1981 — Citing declining revenue from the University, the IDS begins paid circulation again.
1893 — The first Arbutus is published.
Fall 1995 — IDS switches to free mass distribution, no longer paid circulation.
Summer 1996 — Indiana Digital Student debuts.
October 2005 — IU-Bloomington Chancellor adopts revised charter, which combines the IDS and Arbutus charter and changes the publisher's title to Director of Student Media.