Indiana Daily Student Logo

HoosierHype Blog

Schmidt's gold highlights day three of Big Tens

By Grace Palmieri          Posted 02/28/14 11:06pm         

In the finals of 3-meter springboard diving Friday night, senior Darian Schmidt missed his first two dives, falling into last place. He then scored a 92.75 and a 95 on his fourth and fifth dives to climb from eighth to first going into the final round.

One dive later, he was the Big Ten Champion.

That completes Schmidt's sweep of the springboard events at the 2014 Big Ten Championships. He now has four career Big Ten titles, two in the 1-meter and two in the 3-meter.

Schmidt's win capped day three of the men's swimming and diving Big Tens.

IU remains in second place with 406 points. Michigan is the first-place team with 599 points.

Junior Steve Schmuhl was third in the 400-yard individual medley. His time of 3:43.55 was just 7/100ths of a second off an NCAA A-cut.

In his first individual championship final, freshman Max Irwin finished eighth in the 100-yard butterfly. His preliminary time of 47.67 was a career best.

Senior Cody Miller fell just short in defending his backstroke title, placing second in 51.99. That is the third-fastest time in IU history and Miller now owns all five top times.

The Hoosiers went 3-4 in the 100-yard backstroke, with senior Eric Ress third and senior James Wells fourth.

At the end of the day, four divers finished in the top eight in the 3-meter competition. Schmidt was first, freshman Joshua Arndt third, senior Emad Abdelatif fifth and senior Conor Murphy seventh. Arndt's score of 423.15 is a career best.