MINNEAPOLIS --- Things got tense in the late innings, but there's no reason to worry with a bullpen like IU's.

When it comes to the ninth inning, Ryan Halstead is the one who lets Hoosier fans breathe the ultimate sigh of relief.

Halstead closed out Minnesota in the ninth for the school-record 21st save of his career, preserving IU's 4-2 win over Minnesota in game five of the 2013 Big Ten baseball Tournament at Target Field.

The junior right-hander also picked up his 11th save of the season, a school record for saves in a single season.

The top-seeded Hoosiers Will play No. 2-seeded Ohio State at 8:05 ET Friday. The Buckeyes beat Nebraska 3-2 earlier Thursday in their first game of the tournament.

For the first time, Aaron Slegers started the first game of a series for IU, taking over the slot normally filled by experienced ace Joey DeNato.

Slegers (9-1) did not disappoint, tossing seven innings of one-run ball with seven strikeouts and no walks.

The Hoosiers (41-13) jumped on Minnesota left-handed starter DJ Snelten in the first, hitting three doubles. Chris Sujka doubled off the wall in left-center field to lead things off. Three batters later, Scott Donley hit a ground-rule double to left that plated Sujka. Michael Basil added a sac-fly to right and Dustin DeMuth an RBI-double that hit the warning track in center and one-hopped the wall, giving IU a 3-0 lead.

IU added a run in the 5th on an RBI single to center by Donley, who finished 2-for-4 with 2 RBI.

Snelton (5-2) took the loss for Minnesota (31-21).