Intermat launched their preseason wrestling rankings (the most widely used rankings in the country) this morning, and Hoosiers are ranked in the top 20 in five of the 10 weight classes. They are:

• Senior Kurt Kinser, ranked seventh at 149 pounds
  • Senior Paul Young, ranked ninth at 157 pounds
  • Senior Eric Cameron, ranked 20th at 184 pounds
  • Junior Matt Powless, ranked 19th at 197 pounds
  • Senior Ricky Alcala, ranked 15th at Heavyweight (285 pounds)

As a team, the Hoosiers are currently ranked 33rd based on the combined individual rankings.

Some observations from the rankings and last night's intrasquad scrimmage after the jump:

• Clearly the middle and upper weights appear to be the team's strength this year. In addition to the guys in the rankings already, redshirt freshman Ryan LeBlanc, coming off a dominent 20-2 redshirt year, could very well make the rankings at some point at 165 pounds.
  • While he's ranked already, Alcala is not even a lock to be the starter at heavyweight. He lost to junior Joe Fagiano last night despite a size advantage. Fagiano looked very strong last night in his debut after moving up from 197 pounds. I think he's still a little small to be a real contender at heavyweight this year, but if he adds more weight, he could be a guy to watch out for next year as a senior. Both wrestlers are two-time NCAA qualifiers, and despite losing last night, Alcala will probably be the starter in the end. He's simply better equpped to handle the weight this year. The main issue I saw with him last night was conditioning. He was winded during the overtime period, and I think that's what cost him the match.
  • Among the lighter wrestlers, junior Matt Ortega at 133 pounds looks like the best bet to make a run at the rankings this year. He recorded the only pin of the night and showcased impressive strength for his size. He's entering his third year as a starter and should feel pressured to rebound from a bit of an off-year last season. If last night was any indication, he's up to the task.
  • Kinser and Young are each dropping a weight class this year, and both looked very strong last night. Each should be a contender for the conference championship and All-American honors.
  • I'm still trying to find out the story behind Anthony Fretwell's huge jump in weight classes from 157 last year to 184 this year. He looked undersized last night, not even close to 184 pounds, and overwhelmed as he was tech-falled by Cameron. For his part, Cameron looked terrific. I would expect him to move up in the rankings before too long.
  • 125 pounds and 141 pounds are nowhere near settled yet. I don't think we'll know the real starter at either weight until conference duals start in December.