Hey folks,

Already reported this over on the Basketblog, but as I was walking through Assembly Hall before IU's exhibition against Anderson tonight, I noticed a couple of familiar faces I just couldn't place. They were Eric Arnett, who was not dressed out for basketball, and Kipp Schutz, who was.

Both are getting tryout looks with the IU basketball team as part of Tom Crean's ongoing quest to fill out his roster. Schutz didn't play Friday, but he did dress, and Arnett sat on the end of the bench with Jeremiah Rivers and Steven Gambles.

Both players have rather impressive athletic and basketball histories, so it seems plausible that they would find their way onto the roster, considering Crean's continuous message that he's looking all over the athletics department for more talent and depth.

"With Kipp, it's a quick (tryout) there," Crean said. "We saw him for a little while yesterday and then we had him back this morning, so we'll be ready to say 'yay' or 'nay' in a few days. I like him, I like him a lot. If Tracy Smith is recommending him, I've got a lot of respect for that as well."

As for Arnett: "Yea, he's another one that's trying out. We're going through some different things there. ... I keep telling the coaches and the team, it's our responsibility to give us the most competitive chance we can possibly get, and that's just what we're going to continue to do."

I can't imagine Crean holding onto Schutz or Arnett past early January, as baseball practice will fire up soon after that. But with Gambles gaining eligibility second semester, that's one spot filled, and if there's any truth at all to the rumors about Crean possibly pulling a body from the football team, then that's that.

Not much else to report here, but we'll keep on top of this for you as it develops. My guess: Get ready to see Arnett and Schutz wearing candy stripes through Christmas.

Take it easy.