academics & research

IU jumps ahead in 2019 best college ranking

filler.jpg

As high school students begin their college searches, U.S. News & World Report announced the best in the country. 

U.S. News & World Report released its 2019 college rankings Monday, with IU moving up one spot from last year as the 89th best university in the country.

Published annually, U.S. News & World Report uses data such as graduation rates, class size, expert opinions and standardized test scores, among other factors acquired throughout the year, to rank more than 1,800 schools across the United States. 

For the 2019 rankings, the evaluation added additional points of consideration to help accurately measure universities. The Best College rankings eliminated the use of acceptance rate as a factor and instead began to measure the enrollment and graduation rates of students from low-income families at each university.

In the list of national universities, IU tied with the University of Iowa as the second lowest-ranked school in the Big Ten Conference. The University of Nebraska was the lowest ranked at 129th, while Northwestern University was the highest of the Big Ten schools, ranked 10th in the nation. 

IU’s rank improved when compared to other public schools in the country. The University ranked 38th in the list of top public schools in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report.

U.S. News & World Report also ranked individual programs at each university. The Kelley School of Business contained many of these highly ranked programs. IU was ranked sixth in Accounting, Management, Management Information Systems and third in Entrepreneurship.