IU campus leaders give advice to international students

News-filler
Mo Threatt.jpg
Courtesy Photo

Monique Threatt, Head Media Services Associate Librarian 

Welcome! Here in Wells Library Media Services we value diversity, equality and inclusiveness. Drop by to check out DVDs in over 20 languages!

Lillian Casillas.jpg
Courtesy Photo

Lillian Casillas-Origel, Director, La Casa/Latino Cultural Center

Remember you do not have to do it alone. There are a lot of great people and services in place to lend support as you move forward through IU. 

davis oguinn.jpg

Dave O'Guinn, Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students 

Get involved.  In fact, you are more likely to graduate in four years if you make connections with peers and mentors within your first semester on campus.  I encourage you to attend the Student Involvement Fair from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday, August 20, in Dunn Meadow, and to use the beINvolved online system to find an organization and track all your campus involvements. If you are ever struggling to find your place on campus, reach out to me and the Division of Student Affairs staff.  My team and I are always here to help.

Chief of Police Laury Flint
Courtesy Photo

Laury Flint, IUPD-Bloomington Chief

Do the right thing.  It sounds so simple, but it is often the most difficult choice.  Your friends are counting on you to have their best interests at heart.  Don’t let them down.

Ceci Jerry.JPG
Courtesy Photo

Ceci Jerry, President, Indiana Memorial Union Board of Directors

Learn as much as possible about Indiana University, its resources, the people you live with in your residence halls, and even finding your niche on campus. Gain as much knowledge in your time here both inside and outside of the classroom. Our University has so much to offer, and sometimes it may be overwhelming, but it will ultimately make your college experience worthwhile. I find myself learning something new every day, which has been the pinnacle of my own time at Indiana University. By utilizing my friends and staff members on campus, I have now created my own sense of community at such a large institution. Ask questions, gain experience, improve your thinking, and be kind always. The true Hoosier way.

caLGBT
Doug Bauder is the office coordinator for the LGBT office on IU's campus, which was named one of the top 50 LGBT friendly universities in the nation. Courtesy Photo

Doug Bauder, Director, LGBTQ+ Culture Center

Because of the world-renowned Kinsey Institute on the IU campus, diversity related to sexual orientation and gender identity has been valued on this campus and in Bloomington for decades. Stop by the LGBTQ+ Culture Center (705 E. 7th St.) to learn how this research has led to IU being considered such a progressive campuses on these issues and why the conversation about queer issues matters in today’s culture.

Denise Hayes

Denise Hayes, Ph.D., Director, Counseling and Psychological Services

You might feel alone, but there is a community of people at IU who are going through the same experience, don’t be afraid to reach out. 

image004.jpg
Idalene “Idie” Kesner is the dean of the Kelley School of Business. Kesner became the dean in July 2013.  Courtesy Photo

Idalene Kesner, Dean, Kelley School of Business

Seek help early and often if you need it. IU has amazing resources available, and these resources can help with both academic and non-academic aspects of your life as a student. And take advantage of all IU has to offer. Time will fly by fast. It would be unfortunate if, at graduation, you are wishing you had taken advantage of our University’s many, many enriching experiences when you had the chance.

James WImbush
Tae-Gyun Kim

James Wimbush, Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs

To all incoming international students, congratulations and welcome! I’m so thrilled you chose Indiana University for this next stage in your journey and I look forward to your renewing presence on campus this fall. As you begin to acquaint yourselves with Bloomington, I hope you’ll cherish the promising experiences and budding relationships in front of you. In addition to enjoying Bloomington, I encourage you to travel throughout the States whenever possible. Whether you make the four hour drive to Chicago, venture to the coasts or visit other areas of Indiana, take advantage of opportunities to explore. Above all, know you are supported and encouraged to broaden your horizons and do your best work at IU.

Best wishes!