crime & courts

Man knocked unconscious, K-9 unit apprehends suspect

A Bloomington man was knocked unconscious Monday after he tried to stop an argument between two people outside the Mobile Home Hardware near Walmart at 3695 IN-45, Bloomington, according to Bloomington Police. 

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said the man said he saw a white female and a black man walk up the bus station just outside Home Hardware. The two people were arguing and the victim tried to interfere. 

The black man, Roger Porter, then pulled out what the victim described as a Bowie knife and began stabbing the metal wall of Home Hardware. Police later found several holes in the wall that were consistent with the report.

When the victim turned around to light a cigarette, Porter hit him over the head and knocked him unconscious.

Porter then ran off and police began the search for him, Cole said. BPD called in its K-9, Ike, who helped locate the man in a field southwest of Home Hardware and Walmart.

Police told Porter to stop running, but he ignored them. Ike was released and quickly tackled Porter by biting his arm and bringing him to the ground. Police also noticed the smell of alcohol on his person.

Porter was later taken to the hospital for stitches. He was then booked into Monroe County Correctional Center and charged with battery, criminal mischief, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement.