crime & courts

Bloomington Islamic Center not targeted by vandalism after all

Islamic Center of Bloomington

The Bloomington Islamic Center was not targeted by vandalism as it originally seemed, Bloomington Police Sgt. Dana Cole said.

On June 3, BPD went to the Islamic Center in response to a call about a reported vandalism. A car's windshield had been broken on the right passenger side and a metal hinge was left on the hood of the car. 

BPD increased patrols in the area in response to the reported vandalism and in case the Islamic Center was being targeted.  The incident occurred while members of the Center were gathered for iftar, the meal eaten by Muslims to break the Ramadan fast.     

BPD investigated this case and another possible vandalism, but determined both to be accidents. The first case police were able to find the owner of the first car and determine
the incident happened a week before the second broken windshield and was caused by a car door hitting another vehicle and denting it.

Cole said, based on the security footage from the Center, the broken windshield was caused by children playing in the parking lot while their parents were inside.

The City of Bloomington put out a press release which stated a BPD officer works security at the Center and was able to make contact with members there about both incidents.  The release came after the incidents were determined to not be part of  targeted hate crime or bias crime.

The press release stated the officer was able to review security footage and determine the damage was most likely an accident and not a hate-based crime.

The case is now inactive.