bloomington

Bloomington High School North band director creates legacy through music

Janis Stockhouse

Janis Stockhouse, Bloomington High School North's co-director of music, stood inside a ring of about eight players. 

Around her, students were taking turns soloing to jazz blues. Her head nodded and her fingers snapped to the beat. She wore a colorful skirt down to her ankles. It splashed side-to-side as she tapped her foot. 

“Can everybody feel that?” Stockhouse said. 

“Be sensitive and hear the soloist.”

“Nice! There you go.”

Stockhouse critiqued the soloists with reminders and gestures, standing beside certain students to hear more clearly. Sometimes, she just stopped to smile at them.

Sophomore Marielle Berin was on bass. She recalled telling Stockhouse once she had finger blisters, which had made it difficult to play. Stockhouse asked how she got them, and Berin told her it was from practicing. 

“That is music to my ears,” Stockhouse said.

Sophomore John Layton sat across from Berin on piano. Layton said Stockhouse sparked his interest in band. Because of her, he plans to major in music. 

“She sees that potential in you and wants to pull it out," Layton said. "And she does.” 

***

Janis Stockhouse
Janis Stockhouse (right) directs as sophomore Marielle Berin (left) plays bass during rehearsal Wednesday, May 23, in Bloomington High School North.  Matt Begala

Janis Stockhouse said when she first decided to be a music educator, she feared she was too different.

“I had never seen a woman conduct a band before," Stockhouse said. "I didn’t think it was possible.” 

But she did it anyway and has continued doing so for 41 years so far.

Stockhouse is known for taking Bloomington North’s small high school band program and building it from the ground up. She became director of bands at BHSN four years after college and made it her life project for 37 years. Now, her band department is one of the top programs in the state.

When asked about her favorite memory, she said she prefers remembering little moments rather than big events, “like a parent." 

But Stockhouse has had more than a few big moments. Her bands have performed in the Pasadena Rose Bowl Parade, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and in seven countries as part of a two-week European tour. 

She said one of her former students later became principal clarinet of the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra, and another was recently nominated for a Grammy. According to the Indiana State School Music Association website, her symphonic band has placed between first and second in the state 10 times since 1986. 

State Finalist Award
On Wednesday, May 23, seniors Quinn Cox (left) and Hannah Johnson (right) hold up the band’s 2017 second-place state finalist plaque from the Indiana State Scool Music Association competion. Band Director Janis Stockhouse has helped the band achieve numerous titles and awards.  Matt Begala

BHSN principal Michael Akers used to work in the band department at North Central High School in Indianapolis, where he competed against Stockhouse. Their bands scored close to each other at competitions.

“I’ve always thought of North’s program as overachieving,” Akers said. “Their jazz in particular is professional quality. They are every year, and it’s not luck.” 

But the band program was nothing like that when Stockhouse arrived. Her first years building the program took tremendous time and effort, especially as a new teacher. Her free-time and weekends were spent in the office.

“I remember days where I would wake up, work before school, after school, at home and again in the morning,” she said. 

In the years following her start at BHSN, Stockhouse didn't marry or settle down. 

She said she remembers going out on dates with men and having a good time, but she was always amazed at how much time they had on their hands. She said she wondered why they weren’t working on the weekends. 

Tom Wilson, co-director of bands at BHSN, said a principal observing Stockhouse’s class around 2001 was “astonished” by how much work she was doing alone. To help her, the administration hired him to share the burden. By that point, she had been doing it herself for 20 years.

Wilson said the expectation he and Stockhouse have for the students is for them to come in ready to work hard. He said one of their priorities is making sure the students are enjoying themselves but still doing their share.

"We don't need to make fireworks for them to do it," Wilson said. "They want to make music."  

Berin and Layton described Stockhouse as a fun teacher. They said Stockhouse is known to dance to her kids’ playing.  

They also said her sense of humor came out often, sometimes sarcastically.

She makes them feel at home.

"She’s pretty comfortable with us. She’s not afraid to tell you when you sound good or when you sound bad,” Berin said.

Although she doesn’t go easy on her students, Berin and Layton said students have a high respect for her. They even said she makes them want to practice. 

But it isn't just about practice and musical skills for Stockhouse.

“I mean of course I teach them music, but I see that as a vehicle," Stockhouse said. "It’s about helping kids find themselves.” 

Editor's Note: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated Janis Stockhouse was retiring. That was incorrect. The Indiana Daily Student regrets this error.