crime & courts

Alleged horse abuse prompts Monroe County Sheriff investigation

cahorseneglect01.png

The carcasses of two dead horses were found at a property in northern Monroe County and have prompted a Monroe County Sheriff's Office investigation into animal neglect and abuse, according to a MCSO press release.

The two dead horses were found in stalls inside a barn and another horse, who sheriff deputies are calling "Jake," was taken for treatment by MCSO personnel and a veterinarian.

Jake is still alive. The horse has a painted Tennessee Walker appearance and is about 16 hands high, which is about 5 foot 3 inches tall, according to the press release.

A blood test indicated Jake's ragged appearance was due to starvation. Tests also highlighted that a bowel movement consisted mostly of dirt and wood, meaning the horse was without feed. Jake is responding to feed now and improving, according to the press release.

The 62-year-old man who was in charge of the animals and lives on the property where the animals were found and kept allegedly told MSCO personnel the horses were ill and that he had been consulting with a veterinarian. Law enforcement is investigating those claims.

A veterinarian is scheduled to examine Jake and conduct a “body scoring" soon to see just how much weight and fat the horse has lost.

The Sheriff's Office is continuing its investigation and potential charges of animal neglect and improper disposal of a carcass await the 62-year-old man who might be at fault.