Tuesday, March 19

crime & courts

Crime rundown: Hatchet job at JD Byrider, downtown graffiti

Downtown vandalism

The Monroe County Public Library was one of several businesses Monday morning that found the word "V.A.I.N" in blue spray paint on their property. The graffiti covered one of the limestone bears outside by the street corner, according to Bloomington Police.

MCPL employees said they think someone spray painted the bear some time between 6 p.m. Sunday and 8 a.m. Monday. Employees also noticed similar graffiti on First Christian Church at 205 E Kirkwood Ave. and at the Monroe County History Center at 202 E. 6th St. 

Members of the First Christian Church found the word 'vain' painted on their building earlier in May as well. 

Police are investigating, BPD Lt. Dana Cole said, and will be trying to find out if any suspects were caught on camera.

Woman threatens JD Byrider employees with hatchet

A Bloomington woman, Brandy Turner, entered JD Byrider on Third Street on Monday where she began to threaten workers with a hatchet. Turner, 44, claimed the owner of the business had screwed her son over, but employees had never seen her before, police said.

She threatened one employee and, according to police, said she was going to "chop your fucking head off" before slamming the hatchet down on the desk. 

Turner caused $100 of damage to the desk, according to what employees told BPD.

She stormed out of the business and began walking down the street with her hatchet when police located her. When police stopped her they found a needle in her bra and found out she had three warrants out for her arrest.

She was then taken to jail where she was uncooperative throughout the booking process.

Turner was booked for her arrest warrants and additionally charged with intimidation, criminal mischief and criminal recklessness.