crime & courts

Bloomington police searching for man charged with attempted murder

Bloomington Police Department officers are looking for a man who is accused of attempting to kill his girlfriend.

Brandon Michael Richardson, 34, of Bloomington is considered to be armed and dangerous, according to police.

Brandon Richardson.JPG
Brandon Michael Richardson, 34, is wanted for brutally battering, strangling and stabbing a 29-year-old woman over the course of three days. Richardson is considered to be armed and dangerous, according to police.  Courtesy Photo

Richardson’s 29-year-old girlfriend told police he beat her over the course of three days, beginning Monday night.

She told officers Richardson punched her, kicked her, stabbed her and beat her with a metal rod. 

“She thought she was going to die,” BPD Lt. John Kovach said.

She also reported the man tied a dog leash around her neck, strangling her and then tying her up with it. She told police she thought she was tied up for about a day.

The woman’s injuries include a broken nose and eye socket, broken vertebrae in her neck and broken ribs, according to authorities. She also had a crushed hand, bruises all over her body and four stab wounds.

She told officers she escaped when Richardson left the house Wednesday. She went to a neighbor’s house and they took her to the hospital before calling police, Kovach said.

The woman reported she didn’t know why Richardson left the house or where he went.

The couple dated for about five years, according to police. The woman reported Richardson might own guns, but officers did not locate any in the house.

There is a warrant for Richardson’s arrest for attempted murder, criminal confinement with a deadly weapon and domestic battery with a deadly weapon.