crime & courts

One injured in Big Red Liquors parking lot shooting Sunday

A shooting Sunday around 3:30 a.m. in a Big Red Liquors parking lot left one man injured, according to police.

A 20-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to his lower leg after an argument with his father in the parking lot in the 400 block of North College Avenue. 

Police have not confirmed who shot him, and the case is under investigation.

One man at Kilroy’s Sports Bar at the time of the incident reported hearing four to five shots and people screaming before calling the police. The man told police he saw three men in a truck leave the parking lot and drive down North Walnut Street.

Another witness told police he didn’t hear any gunshots. 

After finding bullet casings in the Big Red parking lot early Sunday morning, police received a call about two men yelling at each other at the Motel 6 on North Walnut Street. They determined the men arguing were likely the men from Big Red.

Officers located the truck described by the first witness at the Motel 6 and found what they believe to be blood and ammunition inside. No guns were located.

Bloomington Police Department officers interviewed the man who was shot, and police reported he was drunk, belligerent and uncooperative while later being treated at IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

The man’s father, 45-year-old Kippy Senior, confirmed the two were in an argument when he punched his son in the face in the Big Red parking lot. He denied shooting his son or having a gun.

His son reported a black male with short dreadlocks wearing red shot him. BPD Lt. John Kovach said the man refused to answer any questions after that. Police were unable to confirm his report with any witnesses.

Senior was arrested for domestic battery and possession of marijuana, which police found in his pocket. 

Police requested Big Red’s surveillance footage to review the incident, but employees told police the store recently got new cameras and the cameras were not yet working on the night of the incident.

BPD Capt. Steve Kellams said Senior and his son are still not cooperating with police.

He said the son has told officers varying stories of who shot him since Sunday.

“We do not believe that the public is in any danger,” Kellams said.