crime & courts

Repeat offender robbed 18-year-old at Kroger

An 18-year-old told police a woman robbed her while shopping at the College Mall Kroger around 11 p.m. Wednesday.

The suspect is the same woman who forced one woman to give her a ride before knocking her to the ground on Feb. 10 and stole another woman’s ATM card after withdrawing $40 on Feb. 21.

The 18-year-old reported the woman asked her for money to pay for a cab that was outside. The 18-year-old gave her $2. She said the woman told her that was not enough.

The woman requested the 18-year-old get more cash by using the self checkout, but the 18-year-old told police she refused. The woman reportedly kept control of the 18-year-old by putting her arm around her during the incident.

The woman saw $5 in the 18-year-old’s purse and asked for it. The 18-year-old told police she was being physically constrained at this point and gave the woman the $5.

The 18-year-old told police she then fought free of the woman’s grasp, and then the woman grabbed $10 out of her hand and left the store.

This incident happened near the north entrance of the grocery store, police said.

Tarea Hutchins, 29, was arrested and booked into the Monroe County Correctional Center Thursday afternoon, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams wrote in an email. She will be charged with robbery, criminal confinement, battery and panhandling.