Women’s History Month is an opportunity to celebrate women who have impacted IU — in the past and present

As we enter March, and eagerly anticipate the beginning of spring — with spring break and events like the Little 500 just around the corner before gearing up for final exams and graduation — a significant occasion that should receive just as much fanfare, if not more, is Women’s History Month.

The past and present accomplishments of women across this nation and around the world deserve to be commemorated throughout the year, but the month of March marks a time to truly highlight women’s contributions, and IU is no exception. IU has long been a place where diversity and inclusion have been top priorities, so whether it’s gender, race or anything else that makes members of our community different, we choose to embrace and honor those differences.

I’m especially proud of the manner in which IU celebrates the history of diverse women who have made an impact on our campuses, which is why the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs is paying tribute to just a handful of the women whose work has helped this University make great strides in a variety of areas.

From Professor Emerita Dr. Portia Maultsby, the founding director of the IU Soul Revue and Archives of African American Music and Culture, to faculty who bring the campus together like Dr. Joan Pong Linton, and even those from a younger generation who are making an impact, such as Ph.D. student Stephanie Huezo, regardless of their respective backgrounds, women from IU have made their presence felt.

I invite you to learn more about these women and others who have so positively influenced the IU community through the OVPDEMA website, and to seek out the stories of other women who have put their stamp on the university’s history. While this is by no means a comprehensive selection of all the women who have made a difference at IU, I hope it inspires the current era of female students, faculty and staff to continue striving for excellence, and for the men on our campuses to support the women they know by ensuring these women are recognized for all that they achieve.