politics

Gov. Holcomb calls special legislative session

statehouse-filler.jpg

Gov. Eric Holcomb announced Monday he would be calling a special legislative session to address bills that did not get a vote last week. Two of the big topics he wants legislators to focus on are education and school safety and federal tax compliance issues.

"We need to finish the people's business before the next budget session is upon us," Holcomb said.

The Indiana General Assembly's legislative session ended last Wednesday at midnight. But a chaotic end of the night, including a one hour extension into the next day, caused a few key bills to unintentionally die. A few of the bills were Holcomb's priorities. 

Holcomb said in a Monday press conference he identified five areas he thinks need immediate attention. These included increasing school safety funding, giving Muncie Community School Corporation a $12 million loan and realigning the state's tax code with a changed federal code.

"In essence what we'll be doing is putting some time back on the clocks," Holcomb said.

The last time a special session was called during a non-budget year was 2002.

Holcomb said the session will be held around mid-May and should only last a few days. He added he is encouraging lawmakers to not introduce new legislation, but lawmakers still have the option. The five issues Holcomb outlined are what he believes are the most urgent, but he said he will be meeting with leaders to make sure they did not miss anything else.

Calling a special session could cost roughly $30,000 a day, but Holcomb said he hopes it is as quick as possible.

"Whatever the cost is, is dwarfed by inaction," Holcomb said.

Laurel Demkovich