politics

9th district candidate forum to be held Tuesday

Dan Canon, a 9th District congressional Democratic candidate, introduces himself and his platform's beliefs to IU’s students. Canon discussed his ideas on health care for everyone and how to fight the opioid epidemic. 

Campus Action for Democracy, the IU-Bloomington student chapter of Hoosier Action, has invited candidates for Indiana's 9th Congressional District to a forum 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Whittenberger Auditorium. 

Indiana's 9th district includes Bloomington, Johnson County, and a swath of land in south central Indiana all the way down to the border with Louisville, Kentucky. 

Confirmed candidates for the forum include Dan Canon, Liz Watson and Rob Chatlos. The current U.S. congressman, Rep. Trey Hollingsworth, R-9th District, was invited but hasn't been confirmed, according to a press release and the forum's Facebook event. The forum will involve both planned questions and those relayed through notecards or Twitter.

Earlier in the semester, students had the chance to ask candidates about different policy issues at an event organized by College Democrats at IU.

In 2016, according to Ballotpedia, Hollingsworth won the district with 54.1 percent of the vote over Democratic candidate Shelli Yoder who received 40.5 percent of the vote. Libertarian Russell Brooksbank received only 5.4 percent of the vote.

Dominick Jean