politics national

Supreme Court rejects Trump's 'Dreamer' appeal, supporters for DACA protest

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected a request on Monday by the Trump administration to appeal and review the decisions of two lower court judges to halt the end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. 

The two judges ordered pieces of the program to remain in effect so currently enrolled DACA recipients will be able to renew their status. 

However, the move leaves the ultimate fate for those recipients unknown and uncertain. Trump has asked Congress to find a legislative solution, but that still leaves plenty of room for debate.

To support the rights of DACA recipients, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops declared Tuesday "National Call-in Day for the Protection of Dreamers." 

"Monday's Supreme Court decision does not reduce the urgency of finding an immediate legislative solution for Dreamers, people who were brought to the United States as children and have known only our country as their home," tweeted  Bishop Joe Vásquez, the chairman for the USCCB Committee on Migration.

Religious leaders also marched, protested and prayed on Capitol Hill on Tuesday. Many in the crowd held up signs and posters representing the icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe, a popular Catholic symbol in Mexico. Many of those praying on Capitol Hill were later arrested for civil disobedience when they refused to disperse. 

While the Supreme Court has declined Trump's appeal for immediate judgement and provided some reprieve to DACA recipients, the debate continues in Congress over a possible bipartisan solution to DACA and the "Dreamer" issue.

This fall the Indiana Daily Student published a translation of an article about the college-aged DACA recipients in Indiana. The Spanish edition can be found here.  

Dominick Jean