ANNOUNCEMENT   Jim Rodenbush named new director of IU Student Media | 2 hours ago

sports   |   women's basketball

Buss named as finalist for Senior CLASS Award

_MG_5368

Senior Guard Tyra Buss shoots for a basket, but misses against Northwestern. After going into overtime, the Hoosiers beat the Wildcats 78-73 on Feb. 4 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Buss was named as a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award.  Ty Vinson Buy Photos

IU women’s basketball senior guard Tyra Buss is not only being productive on the court this season, but off the court as well.

On Jan. 4, Buss and senior forward Amanda Cahill were recognized as two of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award. 

Now, a month and a half later, Buss has been named as one of the ten finalists.

This award is given based on an athlete’s excellence in four categories— community, classroom, character and competition.

It’s no secret Buss excels at competition as she is currently averaging 20.4 points per game and 4.7 assists per game. Also this season, she has become the all-time leader in IU history for points scored and steals. 

Off the court, however, Buss holds a 3.3 GPA with a physical education major. She also volunteers for many organizations around the community.  

These include Hoosier HEROES, Hoosier Readers, IU Best Buddies, Camp Riley, Hoosier Outrun Cancer, Candy Stripe Crew event for disabled and handicapped adult and children, Slam Dunk for Literacy, Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army.

Buss is the only representative from the Big Ten out of the ten finalists. Winners will be announced during the Women’s Final Four on April 1. 

Dylan Wallace

More in Sports