crime & courts bloomington

Man arrested for spray-painting the graffiti tag 'easy' in 16 places

easy3.jpg

When police arrested a man Wednesday night, they noticed he had a symbol on his backpack matching graffiti found on the west side of Bloomington.

The suspect, Ricky Porter, 21, confirmed the tag, “easy” written in all lowercase in almost-cursive, was his.

Officers then located the tag in 16 different places around Bloomington. Two of those locations had been previously reported, but 14 were reported Wednesday.

It was written on everything from dumpsters to bridges to for-sale signs, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said.

Porter had a backpack full of spray paint, paint markers, shoe polish and other paint when he was arrested, officers said.

He was arrested after a call about a suspicious person at an apartment complex on South Kimble Road came in Wednesday night. The caller said the suspicious activity may have been drug-related.

Police found Porter in the laundry room of the residence early Wednesday morning. He told officers he was sleeping there because it was raining and he had been evicted from his home because he couldn’t pay rent.

There was a warrant out for Porter’s arrest for failing to appear in court on a misdemeanor theft charge. He was arrested for the vandalism and the previous warrant.