sports men's soccer

Mason Toye signs Generation Adidas contract with MLS

Freshman forward Griffin Dorsey celebrates with freshman forward Mason Toye after assisting on Toye's first half-goal against Ohio State on Oct. 15 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Per an IU athletics release Friday, Toye will forgo his final three seasons of eligibility with IU after signing a Generation adidas deal with Major League Soccer. 

Freshman IU men's soccer forward Mason Toye has signed a Generation Adidas contract with MLS and will forego his final three seasons of eligibility at IU.

It was announced Friday, per an IU athletics release, that Toye will be eligible for the MLS SuperDraft by signing the contract with Adidas. By signing this deal, Toye is eligible to be drafted by an MLS team as an underclassman.

This year's SuperDraft will feature four rounds and 92 total selections by 23 MLS teams.

There were previous reports in December on Goal.com that Toye was rumored to sign the contract, making him eligible for the SuperDraft, but nothing was confirmed until Friday afternoon.

Toye led the team in goals with 10 in total, was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year and was also named First Team All-Big Ten. The forward led the rest of the stout freshman class and showed significant signs of improvement throughout the season.

Now Toye will head to Orlando, Florida, for the 2018 MLS Adidas Player Combine, which will take place from Jan. 11-17 at Orlando City Stadium. IU Coach Todd Yeagley will be one of many coaches at the combine getting players ready for the SuperDraft on Jan. 19.

"We are excited for Mason and his opportunity with MLS,” Yeagley said in the release. “Mason played a key role in our success this fall leading our team in goals and helping us advance to the championship match. He has made incredible strides in his development in his short time at IU. The future is bright for Mason and we look forward to following all his success."

To wrap up his season, Toye was named to the Top Drawer Soccer First-Team Freshman Best XI at the end of the year. 

“I’d like to thank Coach Yeagley and the entire staff for helping me grow throughout the season, not only as a player, but as a person,” Toye said in the release. “I became a totally different player after coming to Indiana, and I wouldn’t be in the position I am now without them. The family atmosphere with the alumni and current players made Indiana feel like home. Although this is the right decision for my soccer future, I had mixed emotions leaving my great teammates and coaches. I can’t wait to come back and support the program in the future. I’m definitely a Hoosier for life.”

Freshman forwards Justin Rennicks and Thomas Warr will fight for the vacant starting spot at striker left by Toye, barring any other departures by the either of them. Junior forward Cory Thomas was the closest player in the attacking half of the field to contend for the team lead in goals, as Thomas scored seven times.

Michael Ramirez