sports women's basketball

More award nominations for women's basketball's senior duo

Sophomore forward Bre Wickware (left), senior forward Amanda Cahill (middle) and senior guard Tyra Buss (right) hug while Coach Teri Moren talks to the crowd during Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 21. Buss and Cahill were two of 30 players nominated for the Senior CLASS Award on Jan. 4.

Seniors Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill have been the fuel to the IU women’s basketball’s fire this season. 

Both lead the team in the scoring, and both had been named All-Big Ten Preseason honorees before the start of the season. 

But on Jan. 4, both were recognized for something that doesn’t just rely on their on-the-court stats. 

Per an IU athletics release, the senior duo was named as two of the 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award. 

Eligibility for the award is as follows: The student-athlete has to be classified as a NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in the community, classroom, character and competition. 

Buss and Cahill are the only two players to be selected from the same team on both the men’s and women’s side of the nominations. They are also two out of the three players representing the Big Ten on the women’s list.

The 30 nominations will be narrowed down to just 10 in February. The 10 will then be placed on an official ballot, in which media, fans and coaches can all vote for who they think represent the four categories the best. 

The winners will be announced during the Men’s and Women’s Final Four, respectively. 

Dylan Wallace