politics

Why do you march? Indianapolis Women's March attendees speak out

Attendees at the Indianapolis Women's March on Washington on Saturday listen to Sally Tuttle, the chair of the Indiana Native American Indian Affairs Commission. The march began at the American Legion Mall and ended at the Indiana State House and focused on voter turnout for the midterm elections in November. 

Koby Bluitt, a senior at Ball State University, marched to be a microphone for those who can't speak up. Tina Vawter, an IU class of 1971 graduate, marched because she said she can't stand President Trump. 

Bluitt and Vawter were joined by thousands of other attendees Saturday at the Indianapolis Women's March on Washington. One year after crowds of protesters attended the initial Women's March on Washington in Indianapolis, Washington, D.C., and cities across the world, thousands gathered again at the American Legion Mall to march to the Indiana Statehouse.

Thousands of people gathered at the American Legion Mall in Indianapolis to participate in the second Women's March on Washington.

This year, the march emphasized voter participation in the midterm elections in November. The march, which was called "Reclaiming Our State: Power to the Polls," featured speakers like Demetrees Hutchins, an IU graduate now working at the Center for Urban and Multicultural Education at IUPUI; Heather Wildrick-Holman, president of the Indiana chapter of the National Organization for Women; and Rep., D-Indianapolis, Robin Shackleford, vice chair of the Indiana Black Legislative Caucus.

"I'm marching for not only myself and the future of women's rights, but also for the Dreamers, for the Black Lives Matter, for everything," said Brittany Epley, a native of La Porte, Indiana. "Because we all need to stand together to make a change, so I'm marching for everyone, not just myself."