crime & courts bloomington

Bloomington Blotter: Man reports wallet, cellphone stolen

blotter filler

Bloomington police are looking for an unknown man in connection to a robbery reported on Thursday.

A 31-year-old man told officers at IU-Health Bloomington Hospital that he was beaten up in the area of the Wheeler Mission Center for Men off of West Third Street. He reportedly had abrasions and bruises on his face.

The man told police he went outside to smoke a cigarette on Jan. 24, according to Sgt. Pam Gladish. The suspect approached the man and requested a cigarette from him, he told police. 

The man denied his request, at which point the suspect called him a name and walked away.

On Thursday morning, the man was walking over by a dumpster near the center, he told police, when he was met by the suspect. 

The suspect reportedly hit the man, who fell down. At this point, he told police, he balled up his body and asked the other man to stop.

The the suspect did stop, the man told police, but ended up making off with the his cellphone, wallet and a plastic bag — which police believe contained some of the man's personal belongings. 

While officers spoke with the reported victim, others went to the shelter to speak with staff, who were unable to offer any information. 

The man described his assailant as a white man in his 30s, approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall, with a medium to stocky build. Police have a first name, but do not know a street name or any other information at this time.

The investigation is ongoing.

Jesse Naranjo