sports wrestling

Wrestling loses conference dual meet against No. 1 Penn State

Sophomore Liam Cronin and then-junior, now senior, Elijah Oliver wrestle in the Cream & Crimson Dual on Oct. 26, 2017, in University Gym. IU is 2-1 this season.

IU (6-3 overall, 0-2 in Big Ten) dropped its second dual meet in Big Ten action, losing 44-3 at No. 1 Penn State on Sunday at Rec Hall in University Park, Pennsylvania. 

The Hoosiers' only win of the day came in the 125 lb. weight class, as junior Elijah Oliver earned a decision victory against PSU freshman Devin Schnupp. 

However, IU would go on to lose four-straight bouts in the 133 lb., 141 lb., 149 lb. and 157 lb. categories. This run allowed Penn State to take a 19-3 lead in the dual meet.

IU then forfeited the 165 lb. matchup to Penn State, and the Nittany Lions went up 25-3.

Penn State captured the final four bouts of the dual meet, winning in the 174 lb., 184 lb., 197 lb. and 285 lb. weight classes. Those wins came via a tech fall, a pin and two major decisions. 

The three team points scored was the lowest amount by IU since a 45-0 loss at Iowa in February 2016.

IU will next be in action at the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships on Dec. 29 and 30 in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. 

The regular season tournament features 32 teams, including wrestlers representing 11 of the 14 Big Ten schools.

Cameron Drummond