crime & courts

Police make drug-related arrest and respond to burglary, theft reports Wednesday

blotter filler

Meth deal

Police arrested a Bloomington man Wednesday on preliminary charges of dealing methamphetamine after officers set up a controlled buy with a confidential informant.

The investigation involved a controlled buy, which is when an informant buys illegal substances while under police surveillance in order to arrest the dealer.

Police arranged for the informant to meet with the suspect, 27-year-old Jeffery Matlock-Brown, on June 12 in a predetermined location where detectives were present.

Detectives witnessed the alleged purchase of between one and five grams of a rock-like substance thought to be methamphetamine.

Police located Matlock-Brown and arrested him for his connection to the deal at 10 p.m. Wednesday. He was booked into Monroe County Jail later that night.

Burglary

The pastor at First Church of the Nazarene on West Howe Street reported a burglary at 8 p.m. Wednesday after finding a broken window at the northwest corner of the church.

Officers believe a suspect broke the glass, unlocked the window and entered the residence before stealing several electronics, Bloomington Police Department Lt. John Kovach said.

Among the electronics reported stolen were a DVD player, a sound bar, a boom box, a Nintendo 64, a GameCube, two PlayStations, a CD player and about 30 to 40 video games.

The pastor told police he estimates the burglary took place between 1 and 2 p.m. Wednesday. There are no suspects at this time.

Theft

Bloomington High School North administration called Bloomington police around noon Wednesday after a laptop stolen from the school was found.

Administrators told police a 16-year-old student did not turn in a tablet and keyboard issued by the school in 2016.

PC Max on East Third Street notified Bloomington North that they had found the stolen tablet. Store employees told administrators that they would have to file a police report before the tablet could be returned.

Employees also contacted the man who brought the tablet into the store. He told police he bought it from a juvenile.

Bloomington North and the man who bought the tablet told police they did not want to press charges. The tablet was returned to the high school.

Christine Fernando