sports women's basketball

Tyra Buss named to two trophy watch lists

Senior guard Tyra Buss enters Branch McCracken Court during Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 21. Buss surpassed Denise Jackson as the all-time scorer for IU in women's program history with 1,931 points on Jan. 3 against Penn State. 

IU senior guard Tyra Buss was named Wednesday to the watch lists of the Wade Trophy and the Women’s Citizen Naismith Trophy, per an IU Athletics release. 

The Wade Trophy has been around for 41 years and is considered "the oldest and most prestigious national player of the year award in college women's basketball," according to the release. 

Buss is one of the 25 players recognized for this list. 

The Naismith Trophy was founded during the 1956-57 season and recognizes the top men's and women’s college basketball players of the year. There have been 50 selections made for this watch list. 

After six games this season, Buss is averaging 22.7 points per game, which is third in the Big Ten Conference and has a career-high 6.7 assists per game. 

She is doing all of that while shooting 46.5 percent from the field. The senior guard already has two double-doubles this season. 

The winners for the Wade Trophy will be announced Mar. 30. For the Naismith Trophy, a mid-season list of 30 players will be released Feb. 14, and the winner will be announced April 1. 

Dylan Wallace