* FINAL: No. 9 Wisconsin 45, IU 17.
We’re all finished in Bloomington as Wisconsin (9-0, 6-0 in Big Ten) pulls away late for a 45-17 victory over IU (3-6, 0-6).
The Badgers dominated time of possession in the final three quarters of play after a strong first quarter by the Hoosiers. When it was all said and done, Wisconsin had the ball for nearly 40 of the game’s 60 minutes.
Freshman running back Jonathan Taylor led Wisconsin’s dominant ground game with 29 carries for 183 yards and a touchdown. Badger fullback Alec Ingold had just four carries for six yards, but two went for short-yardage touchdowns. IU’s senior quarterback Richard Lagow started and played the whole game with freshman Peyton Ramsey sitting due to injury. Lagow started the game strong and had two touchdowns through the air, but a pair of fourth-quarter interceptions cost IU late. Lagow finished his day with 226 passing yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.
Meanwhile, the Hoosier running backs couldn’t get anything going as the team finished with just 40 rushing yards. Freshman Morgan Ellison had the most attempts with six carries for 17 yards, but had no carries in the second half. Wisconsin scored the last 21 points of the game and outscored IU 31-7 in the second half as the Badgers continued their undefeated march toward the Big Ten Championship game. Up next for IU is a road game at Illinois, which has also yet to win a Big Ten game.
The Hoosiers will play the Illini next Saturday at noon.
* TOUCHDOWN (2:19 - 4th quarter) Another one-yard rushing score for the Badgers, this time its sophomore running back Bradrick Shaw to make it 45-17.
* TOUCHDOWN (5:19 - 4th quarter) It's consecutive touchdowns for Wisconsin after Lagow interceptions as Ingold runs in again from one yard out. 38-17 Badgers.
* INTERCEPTION (10:10 - 4th quarter) It's back to back picks for Lagow now after a high pass goes through the hands of Luke Timian and is intercepted by Wisconsin.
* TOUCHDOWN (10:15 - 4th quarter) Alec Ingold rumbles into the end zone for Wisconsin from one yard out. Badgers capitalize from the Lagow interception. 31-17 Hoosiers trail.
* INTERCEPTION (13:46 - 4th quarter) Richard Lagow is drilled by an unblocked Wisconsin defender in the IU end zone and throws an intersection. Badgers take over at the IU 27.
* End of 3rd quarter: IU football trails No. 9 Wisconsin 24-17.
* TOUCHDOWN (4:06 - 3rd quarter) The IU offense responds in a big way as Richard Lagow finds Simmie Cobbs Jr. for a 17-yard touchdown pass. This trims the Wisconsin lead to 24-17.
* TOUCHDOWN (5:47 - 3rd quarter) Wisconsin has now scored the last 24 points of the game after a 32 yard rushing touchdown by freshman running back Jonathan Taylor. Taylor now has 168 rushing yards today. 24-10 Wisconsin leads.
* TOUCHDOWN (9:04 - 3rd quarter) Wisconsin takes the opening drive of the second half 72 yards on 11 plays, but stops three yards shy of a touchdown. A 21-yard field goal by junior kicker Rafael Gaglianone is good to make it 17-10 for the Badgers.
* HALFTIME: No. 9 Wisconsin 14, IU 10. Indiana scored the first 10 points of the half, but Wisconsin scores the final 14 points to take a lead into halftime. The fumble decided by video review looms large as it led to the game's deciding score.
* TOUCHDOWN (6:21 - 2nd quarter) Wisconsin capitalizes on the turnover and takes it first lead of the game. Hornibrook to sophomore wide receiver Quintez Cephus for an eight-yard TD pass. 14-10 Badgers.
* FUMBLE (7:00 - 2nd quarter) Video replay by the officials results in a fumble by IU freshman running back Morgan Ellison. Even though officials blew the play dead as the ball was still loose, the replay officials reviewed that Wisconsin had a clear recovery of the football. Wisconsin gets the ball down 10-7.
* TOUCHDOWN (10:28 - 2nd quarter) Wisconsin gets on the board after consecutive breakdowns in pass coverage by IU on defense. Senior husky Tony Fields and sophomore cornerback Andre Brown Jr. both missed opportunities to stop the Badgers on third-down pass plays before an 18-yard touchdown pass from Hornibrook to junior fullback Alec Ingold. 10-7 Hoosiers lead.
* FIELD GOAL (14:11 - 2nd quarter) IU is able to go up two scores on Wisconsin after senior kicker Griffin Oakes converts a 26-yard field goal. Hoosiers lead No. 9 Wisconsin 10-0.
* TOUCHDOWN (3:57 - 1st quarter) An 80-yard, 11-play scoring drive by the Hoosiers is capped by a 23-yard touchdown pass from Lagow to sophomore running back Devonte Williams. Williams was open by a country mile in the end zone. 7-0 Hoosiers lead.
* INTERCEPTION (8:06 - 1st quarter) On 3rd and Goal from the IU six-yard line, Wisconsin sophomore quarterback Alex Hornibrook is pressured by IU junior defensive tackle Jacob Robinson. The pass went straight into the arms of senior linebacker Tegray Scales for an interception. Score remains 0-0.
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.
More in Football
A position change, a transfer and three medical non-qualifiers were announced Thursday.
3 high school players signed their National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.
Five IU seniors saw action in bowl games across the country.