Instant Recap: IU football defeats Illinois to pick up first Big Ten win of 2017

Defensive back Rashard Fant celebrates after breaking up a pass against Wisconsin on Nov. 4 at Memorial Stadium. Fant was signed by the Chicago Bears on Saturday after going undrafted. 

FINAL: IU 24 Illinois 14 - IU hangs on to win 24-14 at Illinois to pick up its first Big Ten win of the season and continue the march toward bowl eligibility. The Hoosiers (4-6, 1-6 in the Big Ten) got a  scare from the Illini (2-8, 0-7) in the 4th quarter, but a Simmie Cobbs Jr. touchdown reception with 5:45 to play and three late IU takeaways put the game to bed.

Richard Lagow made his second straight start at quarterback and completed 32-of-48 passes for 284 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Lagow spread the ball around among his receivers and four different Hoosiers had at least four catches. 

IU had a relatively strong performance on the ground as well, with freshman running back Cole Gest carrying the ball 17 times for 82 yards. Fellow freshman back Morgan Ellison had 13 carries for 49 yards and a touchdown.

The Hoosier defense applied pressure to Illinois' quarterback Jeff George Jr. all afternoon long. When it was all said and done, IU finished with seven sacks, two interceptions and a fumble recovery. IU outgained Illinois 429-294 on the afternoon and won the takeaway battle 3-1.

Up next, IU will play Rutgers at home in Bloomington for senior day. The Hoosiers need to win their final two games to get to six wins and ensure their third straight bowl berth.

INTERCEPTION (0:38 - 4th quarter) Senior linebacker Tegray Scales with the interception to seal the game for IU.

INTERCEPTION (3:01 - 4th quarter) Senior cornerback Rashard Fant with the interception to seal the game for IU.

FUMBLE (5:17 - 4th quarter) - Jacob Robinson punches the ball out of Jeff George Jr.'s hands and Tegray Scales recovers for the Hoosiers.

TOUCHDOWN (5:45 - 4th quarter) - Richard Lagow throws his second touchdown pass of the game by finding Simmie Cobbs Jr. for a five-yard score. 24-14 Hoosiers lead with 5:45 to go in regulation.

TOUCHDOWN (12:59 - 4th quarter) - Illinois will not go quietly in Champaign today. 14-yard touchdown pass from Jeff George Jr. to Caleb Reams for the Fighting Illini makes it only a 17-14 IU lead.

END of 3rd quarter - IU leads Illinois 17-7. A Griffin Oakes field goal is the only tally for the Hoosiers in the period, while Illinois scored on a 77-yard touchdown pass to start the half.

FIELD GOAL (5:13 - 3rd quarter) - Griffin Oakes converts a 28-yard field goal to make it a 17-7 lead for IU. 

TOUCHDOWN (14:42 - 3rd quarter) - Illinois begins the second half with a 77-yard touchdown pass from Jeff George Jr. to Louis Dorsey. IU senior safety Chase Dutra was beat in man-to-man coverage on the play. 14-7 Hoosiers lead.

HALFTIME: IU 14 Illinois 0. Punts have been the story of the game today in Champaign, Illinois. The only scores to report are a three-yard rushing touchdown by Morgan Ellison and a four-yard touchdown catch by Ian Thomas. Hoosiers have nearly 200 more yards of offense than the Fighting Illini.

TOUCHDOWN (0:48 - 2nd quarter) - Hoosiers make it a two-score lead after a long pass from Richard Lagow to Simmie Cobbs Jr. on 4th and 1 sets the offense up inside the Illinois 10-yard line. The drive ends with a four-yard touchdown pass from Lagow to senior tight end Ian Thomas. 14-0 IU leads.

TOUCHDOWN (6:30 - 2nd quarter) - IU football finally cashes in on good field position as freshman running back Morgan Ellison scores on a three-yard run for a touchdown. Senior kicker Griffin Oakes adds the extra point. 7-0 Hoosiers lead.

FUMBLE (12:00 - 2nd quarter) - Lagow is hit from behind and fumbles the football, but Illinois is unable to recover the ball despite having three plays in blue and orange around it. Hoosiers recover the football but then punt it away. 0-0 is the score.

END of 1st quarter - No score in Champaign, Illinois. The IU offense has been the more impressive of the two offensive units, but Lagow's interception has given Illinois the football near midfield. 

INTERCEPTION (1:28 - 1st quarter) - Richard Lagow is intercepted by Jaylen Dunlap as Lagow was trying to find Sammie Cobbs Jr. down the sideline. Illinois takes over.

NO SCORE (4:04 - 1st quarter) - There is still no score in the game. Hoosiers have had three relatively successful drives, picking up a first down in each drive, but each has ended with a punt. Illinois has punted the ball twice.

Senior quarterback Richard Lagow starts for the Hoosiers. Freshman Peyton Ramsey is dressed and participated in warmups, but he will not get the start.

* Welcome to today's live updates page for IU football's Big Ten Conference game against the Illinois Fighting Illini. Neither school has a win in Big Ten play, and the Hoosiers need to win each of their last three games to secure an automatic bowl berth.