IU football wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. added to Biletnikoff Award watch list

Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. runs after a catch against Michigan on Oct. 14 at Memorial Stadium. Cobbs was added to the Biletnikoff Award watch list Wednesday. 

IU junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. was added to the watch list Wednesday for the Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation's top receiver. 

Cobbs was one of three players added to the watch list from across college football, which includes several dozen players. The semifinalist list of 10 receivers will be released Nov. 13. He currently has 600 receiving yards, good for third-most in the Big Ten and top 50 among all FBS receivers.

Cobbs' 54 receptions are the most in the conference and 13th in the FBS. 

Last year Cobbs was on the preseason watch list for the Biletnikoff Award after a 1,000-yard season in 2015, but the receiver suffered a season-ending injury in the second game of the season against Ball State.

Two different quarterbacks, freshman Peyton Ramsey and senior Richard Lagow, have split time throwing passes for IU this season, but Cobbs has remained a consistent presence on an offense plagued by injuries. 

Cobbs was one of three IU receivers to post huge numbers in a loss to Maryland last week. The Illinois native caught 10 passes for 138 yards and two touchdowns. It was his first multi-touchdown performance of the season. 

Up next, IU will face No. 9 Wisconsin on Saturday. Cobbs and the rest of the Hoosier receivers will go against a Badger defense that has allowed the 15th-fewest passing yards per game this season at just 174.3 per contest. 

Jake Thomer