Indiana Metropolitan Police Chief Bryan Roach announced Monday his recommendation that the two officers involved in the fatal shooting of Aaron Bailey be fired.
Roach immediately suspended officers Carlton Howard and Michael Dinnsen. He said they did not follow their training and that their use of deadly force was not justified, according to an IMPD release.
Howard pulled Bailey over at approximately 2 a.m. June 29 for driving with a suspended license. During the traffic stop, Bailey refused to get out of his car and fled police officers, according to the special prosecutor’s report. Police followed him until he crashed into a tree.
After the crash, Howard yelled “show me your hands” to Bailey several times, but Bailey did not comply, according to Howard’s statement. Howard said in his statement he believed Bailey was looking for a gun, and he shot Bailey. However, a weapon was never found on Bailey.
The two officers appeared Friday in front of the IMPD Firearms Review Board. The board concluded that the incident “rises to a level so far removed from accepted professional practice and community expectation that it severely damages public trust of its police department,” according to the release.
A special prosecutor reviewed the incident and announced Oct. 31 that no criminal charges would be filed. The Bailey family filed a civil lawsuit in September against the city and the officers.
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.
More in News
A major area of concern was restoring two-way traffic on Atwater Avenue and Third Street.
According to the press release, people over 50 years old are at higher risk for serious illness.