Bike share partnership between city and IU may start as early as next year

cibikeshare2

A bike is attached to the rack Tuesday outside Franklin Hall. The City of Bloomington and IU are partnering to start a bike share program that will begin next year.  Rose Bythrow Buy Photos

Bloomington and IU will collaborate in a bike share program, slated for implementation early next year.

Mayor John Hamilton joined Kevin Whited, IU transportation demand management coordinator,  to announce the partnership Tuesday morning. 

"Bloomington is well known as a leader in efforts to protect the environment and is already acknowledged as a bicycle-friendly city," Hamilton said in a release. "A Bloomington bike share makes great sense. A partnership between the overlapping IU and Bloomington communities will provide the new program its best chance for success by reaching the most potential riders."

The city says it will propose an initial inventory of 150 bicycles. A joint request for proposals will be filed next week, according to the city's release. 

Bloomington residents would be able to use a smartphone app to pay for bicycle usage, according to the city's initial proposal. This is in contrast to docking stations used in other cities's bike share programs.

There will be a discussion open to the public about the partnership from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 6 in the Council Chambers at City Hall. 

Jesse Naranjo

More