sports wrestling

Wrestling begins season with intrasquad scrimmage

Junior Fletcher Miller and sophomore Zach Horwitz wrestle in the 285 -b weight class in the Cream and Crimson dual on Oct. 26 at University Gym. Miller defeated Horwitz by major decision, 16-5.

IU wrestling kicked off its 2017 season Thursday night with an intrasquad scrimmage called the Cream and Crimson Duel at the University Gym.

The Cream team took down their Crimson counterparts 30-16 as both teams featured young competitors looking to prove themselves and solidify a spot in the lineup.

Sophomore Brandon James and freshman Michael De La Pena kicked off the competition with the 133-pound match. James won for the Cream with a 7-3 decision.

The next two Hoosiers to earn victories were junior Fletcher Miller who defeated sophomore Zach Horwitz in the heavyweight matchup and junior Cole Weaver who defeated freshman A.J. Raya in 72 seconds in the 141-pound showdown.

The Cream squad recorded five consecutive victories as freshman Davey Tunon defeated freshman Austin Holmes, junior Jake Danishek took down freshman Dillon Hoey, sophomore Garrett Pepple topped freshman Kyle Luigs, freshman Jake Kleimola secured a victory over freshman Mike Maguire and junior Elijah Oliver came out victorious over sophomore Liam Cronin. 

The Crimson team was finally able to get back on the board when junior Bryce Martin defeated freshman Logan Herrera and sophomore Devin Skatzka beat sophomore Gabe Koontz. 

The night concluded with sophomore Norman Conley taking down sophomore Jake Hinz, in a contest that came down to the final seconds.

The scrimmage was the first step in the 2017-18 season for the wrestling team, which opens the season Sunday, Nov. 5, at the Clarion Open in Clarion, Pennsylvania.

Murphy Wheeler