Breaking   Former IU chancellor Ken Gros Louis dies | 15 hours ago

sports   |  softball

Softball sweeps IUPUI in doubleheader

taratrainer

Then-freshman pitcher Tara Trainer, now a junior, throws a pitch during an April 2016 game against the University of Louisville. Trainer pitched during Sunday's exhibition games against IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. Wensi Wang Buy Photos

IU softball made its first appearance at Andy Mohr Field during the fall season this past weekend, defeating IU-Purdue University Indianapolis in a Sunday afternoon doubleheader.

The Hoosiers beat the Jaguars 8-3 in the first game before claiming the second game 10-1. 

It took a late-game comeback for the Hoosiers to win the first game, as a seven-run sixth inning powered IU to victory. 

Sophomore utility player Gabbi Jenkins went 4-for-4 on offense in the win. Junior pitcher Tara Trainer recorded 11 strikeouts in six innings in the circle, while junior pitcher Emily Kirk pitched the final inning in relief work. 

IU's second win of the day saw an explosive performance from the Hoosier offense. The Hoosiers scored 10 runs on 15 hits. Senior outfielder Rebecca Blitz and sophomore utility player Katie Lacefield each posted three base hits.

A trio of Hoosiers recorded a home run in the game: senior infielder Taylor Uden, freshman outfielder Makayla Ferrari and freshman infielder Annika Baez.  

Sophomore pitcher Josie Wood pitched five innings in the win, and fellow sophomore Emily Goodin pitched two relief innings.

IU continues its fall season this weekend with games against Butler and Heartland Community College in Indianapolis. 

Cameron Drummond

More in Softball