arts performances

Mersey Beatles audience members share Beatles memories

The Mersey Beatles play their set Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. All of the Mersey Beatles are from from Liverpool, the hometown of the original Beatles quartet.

The Buskirk-Chumley Theater was filled Friday night with the sounds of the audience singing along to familiar Beatles songs like "Yesterday" and "Hey Jude." 

The Mersey Beatles cover band made its third trip to Bloomington on Friday to celebrate the 50th anniversary of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," playing the full album in the first half of the show, then entertaining the audience with samples from every other Beatles album. 

There were Beatles fans from age 91, as the band pointed out at the beginning of the show, to toddlers being held on their parents' laps. One young boy was dressed in a bright green Sgt. Pepper-style suit, matching the band's John Lennon. Some danced in the aisles, and almost everyone sang along to the songs they knew.

Some audience members shared their memories of the original Beatles, and why they came to the show:

Laura Baird, John Lennon's sister, talks about her experience with the original Beatles band before the Mersey Beatles take the stage Friday night. The Buskirk-Chumley Theater was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington.
Laura Baird, John Lennon's sister, talks about her experience with the original Beatles band before the Mersey Beatles take the stage Friday night. The Buskirk-Chumley Theater was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. Sam Oates

beatlesquote1.jpg
Emily Abshire

The Mersey Beatles play their set Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. All of the Mersey Beatles are from from Liverpool, the hometown of the original Beatles quartet. Sam Oates

beatlesquote3.jpg
Emily Abshire

The Mersey Beatles play their set Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. The Mersey Beatles performed "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band," which celebrated its 50th anniversary this year. 
The Mersey Beatles play their set Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. The Mersey Beatles performed "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band," which celebrated its 50th anniversary this year.  Sam Oates

beatlesquote4.jpg
Emily Abshire

The Mersey Beatles play their set Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. All of the Mersey Beatles are from Liverpool, the hometown of the original Beatles quartet. 
The Mersey Beatles play their set Friday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which was packed for the tribute band's third performance in Bloomington. All of the Mersey Beatles are from Liverpool, the hometown of the original Beatles quartet.  Sam Oates

beatlesquote2.jpg
Emily Abshire