sports men's soccer

Men's soccer hits the road looking for more “title points”

Junior midfielder Austin Panchot kicks the ball against Evansville on Tuesday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU will look to continue its undefeated start on the road this Saturday night at Penn State. 

When the Hoosiers hit the road and get back into Big Ten play Saturday at 7 p.m. at Penn State after three straight nonconference matches, they will be looking to tack up some more “title points.”

IU freshman forward Thomas Warr said he isn’t quite sure where that term came from, but that’s the term used in the locker room by IU to talk about the points earned in conference play.

There’s a gridlock at the top of the Big Ten, which makes every match that much more important. IU is looking for its first regular-season conference title since 2010.

The last three matches, all nonconference games, have been dominant displays by the Hoosiers. They’ve outscored their opponents 10-0. Now back in Big Ten play, the intensity is raised a bit more for IU.

“We’re really excited about it,” IU junior midfielder Austin Panchot said about getting back into conference play. “We’ve been saying all along that every point is huge in the Big Ten, and we’re calling it title points and we want to strive for that. We’re ready to get back after it in the Big Ten.”

The goals have been coming in on offense and the IU defense has been a wall. The last goal the backline conceded was Sept. 13 against Michigan. Since then, the Hoosiers have gone 509 straight minutes without allowing a goal. That amounts to just over five matches.  With one more shutout, the Hoosiers can tie a program record for consecutive clean sheets.

Because the Hoosiers haven’t played a conference match since Sept. 22 against Rutgers, they have fallen a bit in the conference standings. They sit in sixth place with eight points, but are just three points out of first place and have a game in hand.  

Three points separate the top six teams in the Big Ten, while at the bottom, Rutgers, Penn State and Northwestern have all failed to earn a point.

Even with the Nittany Lions tied for last, the Hoosiers aren’t taking them lightly.

“It’s points that will get us far not only in the Big Ten, but also our RPI ranking and nationally," Warr said. "Another big game and hopefully we can get three points.”

Penn State has scored just one goal in a conference match and has scored just six overall. The Hoosiers got a 1-0 win last season at home against the Nittany Lions, but have not won in University Park, Pennsylvania, since 2012.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said he isn’t quite sure what they are going to see from Penn State in terms of team organization. He said Penn State has changed it around a bit throughout the season.

“They have some nice players that we have to know their tendencies,” Yeagley said. “I know it will be a game that is very emotionally charged because of, one, the historical rivalry with the programs, and two, every Big Ten game is an important one.”

Saturday, the Hoosiers will still be without freshman winger Griffin Dorsey while he is playing for the Under-18 United States National team, and without junior midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr, who is out for the season.

There could also be a few IU players returning from injury. Yeagley said freshman forward Justin Rennicks and sophomore defender Jordan Kleyn could be back within the next few matches. That would provide more depth to a team that is already playing at a high level.

“Everyone is going to have to improve their game,” Panchot said of Gutjahr’s absence. “It’s a big hole to fill, but I think we have the guys to fill it.”