arts community events

Media School fall speaker series brings 'Nova' producers and Washington Post columnist

Game designer James Portnow speaks in the Whittenberger Auditorium last year as part of the IU Media School speaker series. This year, the speaker series features Bruce Joel Rubin, Paula Apsell, Douglas Hamilton and Margaret Sullivan. 

The Media School, which started its fall speaker series Oct. 2 with "Ghost" screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin, will continue with three other guests this semester. 

The list includes senior executive producer of science series "NOVA" Paula Apsell, producer of "NOVA" Douglas Hamilton and Washington Post columnist Margaret Sullivan. 

Apsell and Hamilton will appear at 6 p.m. Oct. 11 at the Whittenberger Auditorium in the Indiana Memorial Union. 

According to PBS, "'NOVA' brings you stories from the frontlines of science and engineering, answering the big questions of today and tomorrow, from how our ancestors lived, to whether parallel universes exist, to how technology will transform our lives."

Apsell currently presides over the production of "NOVA" and the show's exploration into other media, according to a press release from IU Newsroom. The press release also stated that the show has won every major award in broadcasting.

The speaker series is scheduled to conclude with Sullivan's appearance at 5:30 p.m Nov. 14 at Presidents Hall in Franklin Hall . 

Sullivan's experience in the journalism field spans far beyond her current position as the media columnist for the Washington Post, according to the release. 

The same press release said that prior to being a media columnist, Sullivan worked as the public editor at the New York Times and the chief editor and vice president of the Buffalo News. 

In addition to her work, Sullivan was elected as the director of the American Society of News Editors twice, and she was on the Pulitzer Prize Board from 2011 to 2012. 

The Media School has yet to announce who will come to IU for its spring speaker series.