IU confirms Sigma Nu suspension

Members of the fraternity Sigma Nu gather on the front porch of their house on North Jordan Avenue on Wednesday afternoon. The Beta Eta chapter of Sigma Nu was suspended from the IU campus by its national leadership due to alleged hazing and alcohol related violations. 

The Beta Eta chapter of Sigma Nu was suspended from the IU campus by its national leadership. The chapter must stop all fraternity-related events because of hazing and alcohol-related violations, according to a University statement. 

“The Beta Eta chapter failed to implement agreed-upon procedures and plans to ensure compliance with rules and policies during social activities and new member education activities,” Vice Provost of Student Affairs Lori Reesor said. 

The fraternity’s board of directors made the decision after a joint investigation with IU officials, according to a release from the Sigma Nu national chapter. 

Sigma Nu previously had its social and new member activities suspended Sept. 12 and has been on probation since January for failure to comply, endangerment of others and alcohol violations, according to IU Student Affairs. The chapter has been on a disciplinary status since 2015. 

Sigma Nu has been on campus since 1892. Herman B Wells, former IU President and the University’s first chancellor, was a member of Sigma Nu.  

“Together with our dedicated alumni, we will maintain this partnership and will restore Sigma Nu’s legacy at IU in the future,” Brad Beacham, national executive director of Sigma Nu, said.  

This story has been updated.