Friday rundown: IU professor speaks about Second Amendment, “L’Etoile” performing, Indiana Teacher of the Year to conduct seminar, IUVB looks to bounce back

Morning rundown

IU professor strikes up Second Amendment conversation, responds to Las Vegas attacks

caelection
School of Public and Environmental Affairs professor Paul Helmke speaks to the Bloomington Press Club about the election last year. Helmke spoke out against the lack of gun restrictions in the aftermath of the Las Vegas attacks. Lydia Gerike

Amidst the aftermath of the Las Vegas attack on Oct. 1, IU professor Paul Helmke speaks on the United States' current gun regulation. He said an assault weapons ban previously in place until 2004 would have limited the damage the gunman could have done. Read more here.

Eccentric steampunk operetta “L’Etoile” performing at the Musical Arts Center

The ensemble performs the opening song in "L'étoile." The opera will play at the Musical Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 13, 14, 20 and 21.
The ensemble performs the opening song in "L'étoile." The opera will play at the Musical Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 13, 14, 20 and 21. Marlie Bruns

Larger-than-life personalities — and wigs — are coming in French operetta “L’Etoile,” which runs from Oct. 13 to Oct. 21 at the Musical Arts Center. Tickets start at $12 for students. “L’Etoile,” which means “the star” in French, follows King Ouf as he prepares to perform his annual birthday execution. He quickly realizes he is astrologically linked to the peddler he’s chosen for the chopping block, so if the peddler dies, the king dies, too. Read more here.

Indiana Teacher of the Year to conduct seminar at IU

cajitkanelson.jpg
Jitka Nelson is Indiana's 2017 Teacher of the Year. She will offer a seminar at 10 a.m. Friday in the IU School of Education Auditorium, sponsored by the INSPIRE Living-Learning Center.  Courtesy Photo

Jitka Nelson, the 2017 Indiana Teacher of the Year and IU’s Armstrong Teacher Educator award winner, will give a seminar at 10 a.m. Friday in the IU School of Education Auditorium. Nelson will talk about her experiences teaching English language arts to English learners and classroom equity. Read more here.

Volleyball looks to bounce back from loss to Iowa against No. 11 Wisconsin

Freshman outside hitter Kamryn Mallory earns a kill against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Oct. 11. IU plays Iowa and No. 7 Nebraska this weekend. 
Freshman outside hitter Kamryn Mallory earns a kill against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Oct. 11. IU plays Iowa and No. 7 Nebraska this weekend.  Steven Lin

It’s been a down year for IU volleyball. The Hoosiers have failed to win any of their first seven conference matches, but improved play in recent games gives Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan reason for optimism. Read more here.